We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Priest Guide Chidambaram

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Priest Guide Chidambaram

I've done a quick search on the forum, but can't find anything on this topic.

On our trip to Tamil Nadu and Kerala in December I plan to stop on our drive from Pondicherry to Tanjore at Chidambaram in the morning and then either Gangaikondacholisvaram or Darasuram in the afternoon.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have any contact details for a Brahmin Priest Guide at Chidambaram. I see that some travel companies use somebody there who also provides lunch is his home. Any contact details would be much appreciated.

2. If I have to chose between Gangaikondacholisvaram and Darasuram, which would you choose and why?

In case you're wondering why I have not mentioned Tanjore, it's because we have the whole of the next day to explore Tanjore.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

My suggestion would be to do both the temples, if time permits, as both may have similarities but are unique is certain ways. If it has to be only one, then I would choose Gangaikondacholapuram. Will see if I can enquire and revert on the priest thing.

Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

Would we have time to visit Chidambaram, Gangaikondacholisvaram and Darasuram all in one day, driving from Pondicherry to Tanjore. I don't mind an early morning start, but want to avoid being on the road after dark (if night time driving conditions are as bad in the South of India as they are in the North!).

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

It depends on the time you spend in each place as travel would not be a mojor time consumer. All the above places are in a travelling time of less than an hour. So if you start after breakfast (maybe 0800 hrs) from Pondy, you would reach Chidambaram by 0915 hrs. Spending 1 1/2 hours in the temple and leaving from there by 1100 hrs, you will reach GKC by 1145 hrs and you may spend till the temple closing time there. If you leave from GKC by 1400 hrs also, you will reach Darasuram by 1500 hrs and I think you need to wait for the temple to open as I am not quite sure about that. Normally temples open by 1600 hrs and the gap in time can be used for lunch and relaxation. After visiting Darasuram, if you leave by 1800 hrs also, you will reach Tanjore max by 1900 hrs which would be close to dusk. And these are good roads.

Regards

Prasanna

Mumbai
Level Contributor
374 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

Hi Tim, I completely endorse view of Mr.Prasanna..I had myself covered these places in month of July..Road conditions are absolutely fine and driving is stressless, as everyone maintains lane discipline and follows the Road Rules..

5. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 13:35
6. Re: Priest Guide Chidambaram

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:20