We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coonoor Coimbatore

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
coonoor Coimbatore

If I leave Coonoor/ooty AM can I catch a train that will arrive in Cochin by 6pm

or

should I stop on route to see something of interest.

We are trying to work this trip mainly by train. Thats if we can book them for Jan /Feb 2013

Also is there a reliable company who will book trains on your behalf or should one use cleartrip which seems to have its problems

Help and advice Please

Dhyanalinga Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Marudamalai Temple
Sacred & Religious Sites
Adiyogi Shiva
Monuments & Statues, Sacred & Religious Sites
Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Hi

I presume you are talking about leaving Ooty in the morning to board a train from Coimbatore to reach Cochin by evening.

if my assumption is right, here are the time and distance notes to help you plan.

Ooty to Coimbatore via Mettupalayam by cab is around 100 kms and a travel time of 3 hours max. Cochin is another 3 hours away.

So, depending on your train timings, you can plan your start from Ooty.

Regards

Rajan

Edited: 31 October 2012, 21:22
uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Thank you Rajan

Now I know how long it will take from Ooty to Cochin/Kochi I can plan accordingly.

Do you know if you can get a train from Kollam to Madurai during the day?. I only seem to find information on night trains, which go via kanniyakurnari.

Perhaps it maybe better to come from Coimbatore to Madurai then the coast along to Cochin

Help is much appreciated

Many thanks

Chalky

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Hi

Sorry, not much of experience with trains, but i presume you are looking at www.irctc.co.in for your train searches. If yes, then, that would be your best source of info to find trains and book online.

Well, you could either do Coimbatore to Madurai and work your way from Madurai to Ernakulam by train or the reverse (Coimbatore - Ernakulam - Madurai) as well,

regards

Rajan

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Thanks for you help

Rajan

Chalky

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Hi Chalky...

This is a very late reply, but think would help. For your original post, presuming your AM as "at morning", you might be very well able to do it. The travelling time, as Rajan as indicated is what it takes from Ooty to Coimbatore. But, the time to Cochin would be more than 4 hours as the roads are pathetic, as I recently did this route. You have many options, to visit enroute but depends on what you are looking at or what your interests are. If your idea is to use trains, taking a train from Coimbatore to Cochin would be ideal, in consideration of our spine.

My personal suggestion would be to let know the actual plan, so that we can suggest accordingly. There is a very good rail network around and we would be able to suggest, if we know, what you exactly are looking at.

Regards

Prasanna

uk
Level Contributor
234 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

Hi Bvsprasanna

We plan on flying into Bangalore stay a day move to Mysore for 3 days on to Ooty / Coonoor 2/3 days. That bit I think I have sorted ok

Then catch a train from Coimbatore to Cochin.

Once in cochin we would like about 3 days move to perhaps Kollam 3 days. I was then hoping to go to Madurai but we do not wish to travel on the night trains.

I thought an alterative might be to go from Coimbatore to Madurai by train and do the Kerala coast in reverse.

However I am finding it difficult to sort the trains.

Short journeys by bus are ok but we do not want to go too far on buses.

The final stage a train back to Bangalore and hopefully a 2 night stay

If you can help finalise this we will be pleased as I have spent weeks trawling the net.

kind regards Chalky

7. Re: coonoor Coimbatore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Coimbatore