We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Which Coimbatore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coimbatore, Tamil...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

We(6 of us) have planned for a bike trip to Ooty through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road. Are we allowed to use that road and are the roads good for bike ride ? Please also mention if there is chances of animal sighting.[I know its luck, but thought it would be better to know the frequency, lol]

25 replies to this topic
Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi

This one of the most scenic and possibly one of the low traffic sectors from Coimbatore to Ooty.

The complete route would be: Coimbatore - Karamadai - Mulli - Geddai - Manjur - Ooty.

I last did this route in November 2012 and hence road conditions may be a bit dated. When you get to Karamadai, look for a left near the temple, which goes past the Forest office and heads down a few villages before it ascends into the ghats. The roads are decent though a bit narrow and there was hardly any traffic until Mulli. At Mulli, there is a checkpost with a Forest Guest house and a few tea shops. A short walk of about 500 meters to the left of the checkpost takes you into Kerala!!! The road to the right of the guest house is again a ghat section which takes you to Geddai. The adventure really starts here on the route from Geddai to MAnjur. Just a 7 to 8 Kms stretch, peppered with a slew of hairpin bends (honestly lost count) and a steep yet breathtaking scenic climb gets to you Manjur.

From Manjur take the road towards Kundha until you reach a place where the road forks into two directions. The left goes to Ooty and the one going down goes to Coonoor. The Coonoor route is easier and more scenic though both Ooty and Coonor are equidistant from this point (30 Kms)

There is yet another adventerous route from Manjur. From Manjur, there is a road leading to Thaishola which heads towards Korakundha and upper Bhavani, gets on to Lakri, then to Avalanche and onwards to Ooty. This is a simply magical track which needed a SUV with a 4X4 to negotiate it almost 3 years ago. Not sure of how it is now.

We have seen Elephants right on the road before Mulli and on the Geddai stretch. Once at the Mulli checkpost, we did watch a Bison herd cross the road. The upper Bhavani sector is full of animals as well. The entire stretch is a bird watchers paradise. This is a know habitiat of the rare Grey Malabar horn bill along with the elusive Paradise Fly catchers and a whole lot of avian kind. The Malabar squirrel is often seen on the trees from the road. We even saw a sloth bear almost 4 years ago. So, if you are lucky, you are in for a treat.

Hope this helps

regards

Rajan

Coimbatore, Tamil...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Dear Rajan,

Thanks a lot for your detailed response sir, it was nice to read your experience☺. Are public permitted to access the Manjur - Thaishola road and there by visit the bridge on top of upper bhavani dam and surroundings ? Because I've read in some blog that we need to get permissions to access those roads. So please kindly tell for which all roads we need to get prior permissions.

Regards,

Prashanth Palaniswamy

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi Prashant

This may be history's most out dated reply. Somehow missed your post in August. My apologies. Yes, there are some of the sectors here that need permission, but it is a mere formality of signing a couple of registers.

regards

Rajan

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi Rajan...

Just to add to that wonderful post (it is that way always) of yours. The Manjoor - Korakundah - Coonoor route is excellent, as a friend of mine did it recently, until Upper Bhavani Dam. Most roads mentioned above do not need any specific permission but they would record the details....

Regards

Prasanna

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Thanks Pras, good to know these roads are in good condition. Planning to get there very soon, for there is an an animal census drive coming up shortly.

regards

Rajan

Edited: 27 October 2013, 04:46
Coimbatore, India
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi,,cai know if theses roads can be manuvered on a swift diesel car....or should we need an suv...i am planning a trip next weekend

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi

The swift is a great vehicle for the ghats and should be fine unless you are attempting the route from Manjur, Thaishola route which heads towards Korakundha and upper Bhavani, gets on to Lakri, then to Avalanche and onward to Ooty. A few years ago, this route surely required not just any SUV, but one which had a 4 X 4.

regards

Rajan

Kochi (Cochin...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Sirs,

Is the route Agali - Mulli - Manjur - Coonoor is doable in an Alto? How is the road conditions of this route?

I'm from Kochi and would like to do this route in my Alto if the road is good. Any issues in travelling with wife and kids?

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,994 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Hi

The roads used to be decent (as of Nov 2012) and I don't see any reason why it can't be done on an Alto. Yes, some places are quite steep, but the 1st gear should see this through. Check your tyres and pressures and you should be OK. No reason why you cannot take your family along.

regards

Rajan

Kochi (Cochin...
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty

Thank you Mr. Rajan for the prompt reply. It give me an increased confidence to do this route.

Reply to: Travelling through Manjur-Geddai-Mulli road to Ooty
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Coimbatore