We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

Hello

my brother and I are in the planning stages of a trip to Soutthern India during january next year.

We are seeking guidance and input on an itinerary from Madurai to Mysore. We have approximately five days to make the trip.

Depending on suggestions we are open to hiring a driver or catching trains. Before Madurai we will have spent a few days in Pondicherry and after Mysore we will be heading for the west coast (kerala).

We have no particular likes or dislikes but our idea is to slowly discover the essence of the South if that makes sense!

Many thanks and looking forward to your ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Pondicherry
Pondicherry
Union Territory of Pondicherry, India
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

i persume your iteration starts from pondicherry

you can hire a cab but remember you need to pay for a return of the cab from its original place.

through pondicherry-> chidambaram-> kumbakonam-> trichy-> madurai

This route will give you the essence of chola architecture, temples and green farms.

from madurai. madurai-> palani(murugan temple) -> pollachi -> coimbatore->mettupalayam-> ooty-> mysore.

Ther are other alternative routes available which will take much faster. choose this to have spots.

from mysore you can reach kozhikode.

feel free to post your queries :)

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

Thank you for that info VoyageurdeInde.

We were planning on taking a cab from Pondicherry to the nearby rail junction and then catching the train to Madurai via Trichy I will however certainly consider your excellent suggestions for this route. It is perhaps unfair to ask you as you are from Trichy but if you had to choose between a two day stay in either Madurai or Trichy,which would be your preference.

Regarding your suggestions between Madurai and Mysore they sound very promising. I will do some more research and post some more questions as my thoughts develop.

Once again thank you for your prompt reply

Mentioned in this post
Pondicherry
Pondicherry
Union Territory of Pondicherry, India
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

its my pleasure to share the places which i enjoyed.

i havent stayed in madurai hotels, so i cant comment on the choice.

pondicherry-> chidambaram-> kumbakonam->thanjavur-> trichy-> madurai

guess you need to halt at kumbakonam / thanjavur. Thanjavur will be having star hotels as it is frequented by visitors. (trichy indeed have numerous hotels to stay) but to aling with the iteration you cannot stay in trichy.

you can stay at madurai.

Mentioned in this post
Thanjavur
Thanjavur
Thanjavur District, India
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

There is an overnight train from Madurai to Mysore which leaves Madurai at 1950 and gets into Bangalore at 0640 and at Mysore at 1010.

Around Mysore you can visit Srirangapatnam, Ranaganathitoo,Somnathpur,Coorg. To reach Kerala from Mysore you could travel by bus to Calicut or stop by in the Nilgiri area and continue to Coimbatore for a train to Kochi.

Mentioned in this post
Madurai
Madurai
Madurai District, India
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Kodagu (Coorg)
Kodagu (Coorg)
Karnataka, India
Kerala
Kerala
India
Kochi (Cochin)
Kochi (Cochin)
Kerala, India
5. Re: Five Day Itinerary from Madurai to Mysore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 07:16