We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Mumbai
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Hi,

I have planned a trip between dec10-14 to Coonoor and Ooty.

I plan to stay 2 day at each location. I am looking for a 3-4 star property (3k-5k per night) in natural surronding preferable not too far away from civilisation , as i have 2 yr old with me. I did a lot of surfing and read reviews on the options.

For coonoor : I could essnetially only shortlist MGM Hill Worth resort. I liked kururmba village resort but seems pretty expensive.

For Ooty , i shortlisted on Club mahindra derby green, Fortune Sullivan, Sinclair , Highland Hotels and Sherlock Hotels. But am confused as all of these have mixed reviews.

Any suggestions / personal experiences ?

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Hi

The following are the Hotels and plantation stays at Ooty and Coonoor where i have stayed and would recommend. Pls note, these are my personal experiences and others may be even better, but i have no first hand experience to report and recommend.

Ooty

Taj Savoy : www.tajhotels.com

Monarch : www.mithunhotels.com/index.php

Sullivan Court: www.fortunehotels.in

Coonoor

Taj Garden Retreat : www.tajhotels.com

Glendale Stays : www.glendalestays.in

Olande Estate: www.olandestate.com

Kurumba Village: www.kurumbavillageresort.com

Acres Wild: www.acres-wild.com

regards

Rajan

Mumbai
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Thanks Rajan,

Some of the ones you pointed in Coonoor especially seem very interesting

especially Glendale and O'land. I love such into the nature facilities

My only concern on such properties is with a small kid around would it be better to stay nearer to city ( for any medicine, doctor etc)? and what are the provisions in such nature surrouned hotels for keeping warm. do they have heaters or ACs to warm teh room. again a concern since this would be my childs first hill station visit that too in Dec. Any suggestions

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

I personally feel you need not have to share the 4 days between Coonoor and Ooty. You may settle down in one place and go around as Ooty and Coonoor is just a 20 mins drive. It is better to stay in Coonoor, as it is less commercial and more relaxed.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Thanks for your suggestions Prasanna & Rajan, i am now making the bookings and will share my experiences after my trip.

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. Here are a few answers . . .

Both the properties you refer to (Glendale and O'land) are probably half an hour away from Coonoor town. I do know, Glendale has an estate doctor (at Adderly/Brooklyne) around and O'land can arrange one at short notice.

Both these places do have electric fireplace warmers / heaters and this should not be an issue.

Hope this helps

regards

Rajan

Mumbai
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Thanks Rajan.

I am going for Runnymede (Glendale) and spoke to them today.

Just one more thing. I have a stopover in Coimbatore for a day before catching a flight back to Mumbai. can you suggest something suitable for family and moderately priced.

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Hi

If i have an idea about your budget range in terms of values for the moderate pricing, it would be a lot easy. However, here are a few names you can look up at Coimbatore.

Alankar grande (around 3K) http://www.alankargrande.com/contact.html

Heritage inn (same price) http://www.alankargrande.com/contact.html

Nilgiris Nest - now Sabari's nest (around the same price)

tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-g297675-d1585331…

regards

Rajan

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Hi

Good option on Runnymede. My classmate at school, used to be the estate manager here and this place (Runnymede bungalow) was his home where i've spent quite a lot of time, much before this was turned to a resort.

Between Adderly and Runnymede, this one (Runnymede) is a lot closer to town and is bang in the middle of a tea plantation (Glendale estate). There are some great trek routes, valleys, brookes and streams to spend a leisurely picnic lunch and watch the mountain train chug along (which passes through Runnymede).

Have a great time at Coonoor.

regards

Rajan

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Oops, looks like the link for Heritage Inn points to the earlier one (Alankar). Here is the right link for Heritage inn.

http://www.hotelheritageinn.in/

regards

Rajan

Mumbai
Level Contributor
61 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ootye & Coonoor hotel suggestion

Thanks both. I am trying to book a taxi now. Can you suggest some reliable agencies. Does Tamilnadu tourism have official partners? Planing to book for full stay so need a good and knowledgeable driver