We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Pune, India
4 posts
Save Topic
directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Hi,

I will reach Podanur jn with my wife on 02/12/2013 at 11:30 PM. Could you suggest a safe and good hotel around Podanur junction? We do not wish to take a cab or other transport in the late night, so please suggest a hotel close to Podanur Jn if possible.

We will travel to Ooty on 03/12/2013 morning, so please guide best way to travel to ooty from Podanur junction. Are there good buses to ooty from podanur ??

Also, We plan to stay in ooty on 03 to 05/12/2013, go to bangalore on 5th and take a flight in the night to Pune.

Is this Plan Ok ?? which places to visit in ooty in 2 days ? Any suggestion for good hotel or area in ooty to stay ??

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, Thekkady
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Hi desai_amogh,

Welcome to Trip Advisor.

It is a very odd time that you are reaching Podanur. Podanur station is in the outskirts of Coimbatore and it is not very active during nights. The area around the station is also not very developed and there are no hotels in the vicinity. You need not be worried about this as Coimbatore is absolutely safe. You need to reach the Mettupalayam Road Bus Depot to take a bus to Ooty, which is in the other corner of the City.

My suggestion to you would be to pre book a meter taxi, the options for which are many here and stay put in a hotel near the Mettupalayam Road terminus. This will save a lot of time for you, as the morning traffic will be high. You may proceed to Ooty the next day morning by bus. You may also consider the toy train, in which case, my suggestion to you would be to stay in a hotel near the Coimbatore Junction and board the Nilgiris Express very early in the morning, to get the Toy Train in Mettupalayam. You would have to book the Mountain Train tickets in advance, as the availability is less.

Feel free to revert for further clarifications,

Regards

Prasanna

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Hi..

Visit this Site's hotels section to choose a hotel based on traveller ratins, reviews, budget, amenities etc. my suggestion for sight seeing in Ooty would be to join the group tours organised by many tour operators or your hotel might be able to help you with one. This would be most economical, as you can choose to do it in a separate car or join a group based on your budget and preference.

Regards

Prasanna

Pune, India
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Thanks Prasanna,

By Mettupalayam Road terminus do you mean the Coimbatore North Bus Stand which is close to the New ooty bus stand in Gandhinagar ??

The closest Hotel I could find using google Maps is

Sri Krishna Vilas

43, Old Post Office Road,(Near Collector's Office)Coimbatore,Tamilnadu , Near Collectors office

This is a Budget Hotel. They have a Restaurent too, as I am reaching late night. Do you think this will be a safe/quality Hotel ??

Pune, India
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

Sorry, I meant Gandhipuram not Gandhinagar.

Coimbatore, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

The bus stand near Coimbatore North Station is the Mettupalayam Road Bus Depot and Gandhipuram is the Central Depot. Both are different. You need to reach the Coimbatore North Bus Depot to board a bus to Ooty. You need to find accommodation in and around the Sai Baba Colony (NSR Road) area. Sri Krishna Vilas is near the Collectorate, which is near the Gandhipuram Bus Stand, that might not be suitable to you.

6. Re: directions for stay at podanur junction and travel to Ooty.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Ooty (Udhagamandalam)