We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

hello

I want to the easiest train route from kolkata to ooty which takes less time to reach ooty.

I heard there are 2 ways to go ooty, one via chennai and another bangalore.Which one is easy and time consuming route to reach ooty?

is there any direct volvo bus from chennai or bangalore to head ooty?

please send me in details.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

hi

you want to travel Ooty toy train also ? then Chennai is the route.....Kolkata-Chennai and Chennai _Mettupalayam (Nilagiri express) and from Mettupalayam to Ooty by toy train

There are bus services from Chennai and Bangalore check at these websites www.cleartrip.com or www.redbus.in

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

you can also check in this site indiarailinfo.com/search/…41

this will directly let you to coimbatore from where you can take train / cab to mettupalayam and then toy train to ooty.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

I am from kolkata. Want to visit Ooty,kodaikanal,connor,coorg and mysore back to kolkata. Please let me know a hectic free itinerary to visit all the places. please also provide approx distance from one place to another.what is the best mode of transport?

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

The recommended way is to take Howrah to Coimbatore Train and it takes minimum 34 to 36 hrs journey and there are some weekly trains check www.erail.in

From Coimbatore to Ooty is 150 Kms and would recommend to take a Taxi or Bus and it would be a 4 hrs journey.

If you do want to travel by Train upto ooty thats very time consuming and limited trains. After reaching Coimbatore you need to catch another train to Mettupalayem which is 35 kms so 1 hr journe and from there the Toy Train to Ooty which is another 4 hrs + further from Coimbatore the connecting train to Toy Train is the one coming from Chennai in the morning so matching all this would be a big task for you. So get down at Coimbatore and proceed to Ooty.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

hi subhajitkol

From Kolkatta arrive Bangalore by flight/train take a taxi and cover Coorg first and mysore.

From mysore there are many buses to Ooty go by bus and avail taxi there to cover local sightseeing Kodai kanal and drop at Coimbatore.

From coimbatore back to Kolkatta by flight/train

visit website www.cleartrip.com either flight or train booking and hotel accommodation

Edited: 26 August 2014, 05:11
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

Thanks for the reply friends.

Please reply my querries one by one please.

I want to travel ooty,connor,mysore,kodaikanal. 1)what is the best mode of transport ? 2)how many days will be required to cover up the places normally? 3) From where i will go where please let me know(which would be convinient way). 4) I also want to have a forest SAFARI so which would be helpful and enjoyable for it? We would be travelling in march first week. waiting for your Itinerary.5) What could be the budget for these places (Family Member of 6 persons) (Expense includes hotel tarriff, food and cab where it is neccessary). 6)Suggest day wise where we need to stay normally and budget that could be incurred in this tour?

Thanks and Best Regards

Subhajit Ghosh

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

hi Subhajit Ghosh

1) Taxi is the best mode of option for entire trip... 6 members Toyota Innova will be comfortable

2) Coorg 2d - Mysore 2d -Bandipur -Mudumalai wild life safari 1d-Ooty Coonnor 3 days Kodikanal 2d are enough

3)Bangalore- Coorg,- Mysore,-Bandipur-ooty-(coonor)-Kodaikanal-Coimbatore

4) Stay either in Bandipur or Masanikudi and visit Mudumalai wildlife safari and Bandipur wildlife safari before proceeding to Ooty

5)food around rs.20000 to 22000, cab for 10 days rs.40000-45000 (entire 10 days), budget room tariff rs.25000

if you feel cab expensive -because inter state permit charges applicable for three states, then think of another option - from mysore avail bus to Bandipur and ooty, In ooty and coonnor local sightseeing by public sharing van-Ooty to Kodaikanal by bus-by this way you could save a lot of money

6) Stay in hotels as suggested in point no.2

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

Hi Alen

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I want to know one thing that can we stay in Mysore and cover up both Bandipur or Mudumalai from there ? How far it is there from mysore? Is it preferable to visit both wildlife safaries of bandipur or mudumalai? What could be difference between them?

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

Bandipur can be covered from Mysore. The Tamil nadu region of the same forest is the mudumalai. Bandipur. Is the popular one.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 03:23
chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Easiest train route from kolkata to ooty

hi

From mysore as you proceed to Ooty, the route is via Bandipur (80 km) and Mudumalai (110 km) only

staying in mysore you can cover, to Ooty you will go to same route ....traveling more kilo meter

Both are same it depends on your luck to spot animals

Bandipur forest roads are closed for all public vehicles from 9 pm to 6 am....so plan accordingly

Also use www.maps.google.com website ....you will get directions and distance for each destinations...