We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palace on Wheels

Bradford UK
1 post
Save Topic
Palace on Wheels

My wife and I are considering going on a nine day holiday on the train called 'Palace on Wheels', organised by a British company called Voyages Jules Verne. It starts from Delhi and visits among other places Agrah and Jaipur.

Has anybody done this trip recently? We would love to hear your views and comments particularly regarding the food - my wife cant bear hot curries etc.

Also whens the best time to visit this part of India?

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Palace on Wheels

I don't know about that particular train package/tour, but generally, trains are a good way to travel in India. You should ask the tour operator if they can arrange special meals around your diet restrictions. Most will go out of their way to accommodate you. It's never a bad time to come to India, but for most people, they choose the winter months from now through January/February. If you don't like extreme heat, then definitely avoid Delhi-Agra-Jaipur from March-June, the hot season. If you don't like rain (I happen to love monsoon, but it's not for everybody and can make sightseeing a very wet experience), then avoid July-Aug/Sept.

Obviously the Taj is a highlight, but Agra itself is not nice. Nearby, on the way from Delhi, is Fatehpur Sikri, worthy of a visit. Udaipur and Jodhpur are also places in Rajasthan to see.

Many restaurants serve continental food where you can get an "au gratin" type dish that is bland. Many northern style dishes, such as kurmas, are creamy and more mild. Most places can make things more bland on request.

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palace on Wheels

Yes, I have been on the Palace on Wheels train journey in October 2004. It starts every Wednesday from Delhi and returns a week later.

Do not worry about hot curries. The train dining cars x 2 caters for all tastes. The menu changes daily and the dishes are brought to your table where you can make the decision. More often than not, the lunches are at some of the most exquisite palaces and hotels and is generally very good.

This train trip is a great way to see this part of India and can be tiring - especially when it is so hot. You will make new friends from all over the world and the on-board service is good. Breakfast is prepared by the staff members of the cabin that you will be allocated. Breakfast is not served in the dining cars. The breakfast is good and will be prepared to your liking ie. toast, eggs, omelettes etc....but if you love your coffee, it is the instant variety only.

Are you prepared to ride a camel, bicycle rickshaw, a bouncing jeep and an elephant? Are you prepared to see and experience the most amazing forts and palaces of India - that by the end, you will be exhausted and simply cannot take in any more information? If you answer is yes, then this trip is extremely good value.

However, India is not a relaxing holiday destination. It will shock and anger you but you will be amazed and awe-inspired at the same time......India is all things.

atlanta georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palace on Wheels

I have been most interested to correspond with someone who has actually been on the train. Thank you for your posting. I am most interestted in the bathing facilities (shower,etc)

If you have a moment could you tell me a bit more about the actual facilites? Thanks so much

Lydia Kohout

Atlanta Georgia

US
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palace on Wheels

we are also thinking about this journey and wondering about the cost and if there were any children on board.thanks

5. Re: Palace on Wheels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2005, 11:46
new delhi, india
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palace on Wheels

check out the site: palaceonwheels.com

Thousand Oaks, CA
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Palace on Wheels

My boyfriend and I are going on this trip on September 21, 2005. I am looking forward to it but would also like to hear about others whom have made this trip.

Thank you,

Toni L. Franks

toni_lee_f@yahoo.com

Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palace on Wheels

Don't go on Palace on wheels! I just returned March 18th after 7 days. It's 5 star cost for 3 star accomodation and terrible (bland, overcooked mix of Continental and Indian meal. The rooms are bunk bed size, the shower inadequate, the closet holds 4 hangars. Even though it's all inclusive, you have to pay for beverages i.e. soft drinks, wine etc. and every expects a big tip - the water boy on the bus, the tour guide, the tour manager who basically just sits on the bus and asks you how you are, the kitchen staff, the wait staff, the cabin boys etc. You're better off getting a car and driver and staying at the Taj chain of hotels and visiting Rajasthan.

C. SUmmer

9. Re: Palace on Wheels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2005, 20:58
New Zealand
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palace on Wheels

My husband and I have just returned from a week on the Palace on Wheels - we both loved it. The train was great, the service was great and the food was fabulous - I dont like hot curries either but there was not one curry that was too hot and there was also a selection at every meal of continental cuisine, chinese and Indian - you had a bit of each cuisine, not just a choice of one!! we actually put on weight! and the deserts were divine.

Leonie