We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

Which Agra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

Hi, I wonder if anybody could advise me on a few things. I am arriving in Goa at the end of March 2009 and are planning to travel to Delhi and then onto Agra to see the Taj - I have read that the best time to see the Taj is first thing in the morning at sunrise and at night at sunset. I have also read that it is very hazy first thing in the morning - is it worth seeing both sunrise & sunset ?? Can someone advise please...... Thank you.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

It's just a pretty building... and India is full of these, many far more impressive than the Taj.... so I can't really imagine why it would be worth visiting twice in the one day.

The day we saw it (but this was in November), at sunrise, it was as clear as crystal, with no haze; however, I have heard that at some times of year it can be foggy in the morning. I don't know if this is the case in March.

But, even if so, there is a certain attraction to seeing this iconic building surrounded by wisps of mist... and, anyway, these might well lift in front of your eyes, while you're there in your great early-morning vantage position.

I guess whether you choose morning or evening or both, you might just be lucky -- or unlucky -- as far as weather conditions are concerned. Even if someone who has visited at the exact same time of year as you plan to should respond to this thread, it is still quite possible that the conditions they experienced won't be the same as yours.

The one thing you CAN be sure of is that if you go late in the morning (say, after about 8), or early in the afternoon, you will be surrounded by thousands upon thousands of people, many of them school groups, clambering all over the Taj, the gardens, and other sightseers... and this, I am sure, is far, far more distracting and less photogenic than any haze, fog, or rain that might affect the quality of your viewing.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
727 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

i haven't been to the taj in the morning, but i have seen some shots taken at this time of the day. makes the taj look very mysterious....however, as the previous poster said, it's a chance thing.

but i would suggest the morning time if only for the crowds. walking around the grounds and simply just taking in the beauty of the taj without those many tourists add more relevance to the experience.

i was lucky once when i went in the afternoon. there was a curfew on that day and the grounds (and all around agra) were practically deserted. i sat on that famous bench for one hour without other tourists waiting out to have their pics taken (like lady di). i waited until sunset...yeah, the taj suddenly takes on a slightly orange hue, but what i enjoyed most was the fact that i felt like i had the taj all to my self.

london,england
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

have just come back from a visit and it was very hazy in the mornings so we decided to go later rather than sunrise- best to wait and see. if you can afford a room at the oberoi you can see the taj all day if the mist clears.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

There is no fog in March, I think. It's a Jan/Feb thing, when the winter is at it's peak. By March it starts to warm up.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
768 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

I did both. And both are good times as the light is nice and soft and shows off the Taj at its best.

What should really help you make your decision is whether you enjoy relative solitude or lots of people around. Less people in the morning.

I preferred the morning visit. If you do go in the morning make sure you are there no later than 5.40 am. Ticket sales start at 6 am. and in my experience there was a line of about 30 people 20 minutes before this and a line of about 100-120 people at 6.

If you get lucky enough to be one of the first people throgh the security check (and know which direction to take!), run like a mad person...then you might just get the Taj to yourself, like I did. Only for a couple of minutes before others started arriving, but still...it was a magic moment for me. Quiet and beautiful.

Either way, it is a wonderful monument.

Hunbille

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

Hi, one of my most beautiful memories of India is visiting Taj early in the morning in mid March. It turned out to be a clear beautiful day, even though it was still a little bit dark when they allowed us to get in at around 6.00 a.m.

I think we have been lucky, we might have been some 30 - 50 people there when we got in, everyone approaching Taj peacefully. When we got in there most people were making sure we all had a chance to admire our first views of Taj (that I will never forget), ake photos, had a chance to walk there with very few people.. When we left at around 8.00 there were already hundreds of people, but I guess the real peak comes when the train from Delhi arrives. My advice simply is; go there early in the morning. I hate eatly mornings, but on that day waking up before 5.00 was really a good idea.

Ghaziabad
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

The best time is early in the morning or in the evening that is when you get to see the bonus view of the River Yamuna that flows along the Taj.

This is when you get the best shots ( I am a photographer so saying from that point of view) of the Taj and its majestic view.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,991 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

hi,

any time of the day taj is beautifull.

early morning it is good , cool,few people and in march good clear sky will wait for u.

i can suggest u to see the taj from other side of the river in the evening it is beautifull view.

regards

deepak

los angeles
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

Most would recommend first thing in the morning when it opens - 6 am - to see the color of the Taj change as the sun rises. And, when the sun sets for the same reason. Seeing it at 6 am is wise as there are not that many people there yet. At most other times, it is quite crowded.

After entering past the ticket office into the compound area where you can see the Taj, you must remove your shoes as you walk the grounds towards the Taj and inside the Taj.

Exquisite building.

I would also highly recommend staying at the Amarvilas (an Oberoi hotel). You will have a view of the Taj from your room. The rooms are beautiful and have a balcony. Lovely hotel.

10. Re: Best time to visit the Taj Mahal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 00:17