We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Plain ol' shampoo simply won't do. What you need is a very good hair conditioner! Lots and lots of it.

Why? Because the water in Agra is rather hard (high mineral content). I was there last week, and only realised the problem when my hair stood up like the proverbial porcupine's quills when I tried to dry it. It's like washing it in sea-salt.

So all you women (and men) - unless you're staying in a fancy-schmancy hotel, take that bottle of conditioner along, and make the most of your crowning glory.

- Deepa, who is considering starting a new post series of travel and beauty tips :)

Hong Kong
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

: D

Thank you!

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Personally I swear by Livon!!! Still doesn't make me beuatiful, but the hair looks good LOL.

Edited: 04 April 2010, 07:53
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,716 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Hi Deepa

From your photo I can comfortably say that you simply could never look like a birch broom in a fit. Far too elegant for that.

What a brilliant idea to start a health & beauty tip forum for travellers. I'd like to be first with a suggestion.

"Don't worry about what you look like when you're travelling. You can soon sort it out when you get home". Loads of sunscreen and moisturiser, along with a dash of mascara should do the trick. When I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards, I simply mentally shrug & think "Oh well, there's far too many other interesting things to do and see." If the hair looks a fright - just stick on a hat.

Travelkat

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

I don't know about you ladies but in the dry heat of the central plains and of North West India (Delhi / Agra / Rajasthan), sunscreen just cakes on my face; it is most unattractive. There's no solution but to wash your face as often as you can, and reapply. I find that lighter sunscreens that are perhaps water-based work better for me. I have yet to find the perfect sunscreen. For eyes, I stick to a simple water-resistant eyeliner that stays dry even if I have to wash my face in the middle of the day. If you forget your eye make up or lose it in India, then you can try this: www.lakmeindia.com/shades/prod_eyeliner.asp

You need an oil-based moisturiser to remove it at night.

My feet tan most ridiculously, with the footwear straps showing white. Can't do a thing about it; if any of you have suggestions, please let me know! And this time in Agra, we walked through a wheat field - my feet were dusty, tanned, and the nail polish chipped off. Argh. Nightmare.

- Deepa

Wales
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Thank you for your advice on the hair but could you give me some tips on clothes! My husband and I are doing the Golden Triangle in June and want to know what's exceptable day/evening wear for this tour. We have travelled many times in the far east so are pretty geared up for muslim countries but is India the same? I know it's going to be HOT so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Thanks , a very good advice.

Cheers !

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Hi Deepa,

I came across this post by accident when I was looking at hotel ideas for Agra. What a fabulous tip. The additional comments on sunscreen, etc. are equally useful. Could I suggest that you post something similar in the Rajasthan post. I know I would appreciate any tip as I plan my month in Rajasthan.

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

I'm figuring that the Taj Mahal will be the visual focus for anyone in Agra, so whether my hair is properly conditioned or not won't matter. Nobody will even be noticing me. But thanks for the hint since fancy-schmancy hotels are not in the itinerary!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

atravelynn, you're right, when you're there, you focus on the monuments, but then you usually get photos as keepsakes and I hate being permanently on record as dishevelled and hot. It's vanity, plain and simple :D :D

I've recently taken to wearing whites while travelling in Rajasthan or North India in summer, typically thin loose linens, with long sleeves (to avoid sunburnt arms). Somehow when I wear white, I feel cool and summery, and it *looks* cool as well. I've been staying away from fitted tops.... don't like wet underarm patches and damp backs! I prefer to feel the breeze on my skin, I really hate that sticky shirt thingy. I wore sleeveless cotton blouses and skirts / sarongs in Kerala, mostly we were lazing by the pool or doing the backwaters thing.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
180 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to look beautiful in Agra? Here's the secret.

Great advice, thank you! I remember my hair in Paris...it was not fancy, well our room was not either but still, i felt almost indian with all those cloth woven around my had to cover it up :-)