We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Delhi to Agra

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
792 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
From Delhi to Agra

Hello,

I plan to visit India for 4-5 days only just to see Taj Mahal and also Jaipur since I'm fascinated with the so called Pink City.

My itinerary like this:

Day 1 : Sightseeing Delhi

Day2 & 3: Delhi to Jaipur

Day 4 Agra :Taj Mahal

Day 5: depart Delhi

How far is Agra from Delhi by private car? if it's a long ride, I'd rather fly then.

Any suggestions for a reliable car service or hire car & driver and how much whatever to get me from point A to point B?

I want to be safe traveling and would not want to be in a crowded buses as I'm a female traveling alone.

Thank you for your time spent .

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Your only choices for travel to Agra are rail or road

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Hi petfriendly

I am not an expert - actually i usually post questions - but can i make 2 suggestions. Firstly, to answer your question regarding transport, there are many posts with similar questions that you can check. If it was me with such limited time I would hire a car and driver - may take a little longer than a flight, but with flights you have to build in checkin times, etc. and possible delays of flights. With a car you have greater flexibility.

My second suggestion is really a question. Is there any way you can take more than 4 days? Perhaps this is just a stopover between other destinations and if so, Delhi, Agra and Jaipur are fine, but ... 3 destinations in 4 days is a lot. There is so much to see and experience in India and with rush trips you miss out on a lot.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,058 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Delhi to Agra

It is convinient to travel by road and rail to Agra.There is one flight from Delhi to Agra and that is not regular.From Delhi you can plan a train ride by one of the best train Bhopal Shatabdi exp. to Agra.It takes 2 hrs. to reach Agra by this train. It is an experience to travel on indian rail and this journey safe. From Agra you can travel by car to Jaipur and to Delhi before you fly home. In agra beside Taj two other world heritage sites Agra Fort and Fatehpur Sikri. Any other information u want ?

deepak

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Delhi to Agra

If budget is not the constraint, I would advise you to hire a car for the Golden traingle. You will be able to see much more with your own car.

Looking at the tight schedule, half the time you will be spending boarding/deboarding and checking in/out.

The car hire for the entire trip should cost you around Rs.13000. Kalka travels is a reliable agency, you can find more details at www.delhicarrental.com.

Vivek

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Sorry! I must clarify Rs.13000 should be for a big car, a small car like Tata Indica should cost around 8000 rupees.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Hello Petfriendly,

The tour your planning is a simple golden triangle itinerary and is best done by road....in transit from Jaipur to Agra you can stop by to see Bharatpur bird sanctuary and fatehpur sikri.

Happy Traveling...

Sunil

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Hi,

Better if you do other way :

Day 01 Delhi sightseeing

Day 02 Delhi - Agra : Express train at 0615 AM : Sightseeing

Day 03 Agra - Jaipur : Car

Day 04 Jaipur

Day 05 Jaipur - Delhi : By car Drive to Delhi and to the airport, airport is like 28 kms. before the city,

Dawanti Rana

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
792 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Delhi to Agra

It look like hiring car & driver is the best way and better off start & end in Delhi , coz of the same mileage charge anyway, as I read vivek previous response.

Hiring car & driver costs more but definitely would see more too, but If I decide to fly, then in Jaipur I can always take a day trip w/RTDC and in Agra, I can walk to Taj and Agra fort if I choose to stay in a hotel closeby. is this correct?

I appreciate your help and hope to hear from you again

Newark, New Jersey
Level Contributor
792 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Deepak,

Can you pls tell me how to book this express train to Agra from Delhi (2 hrs. only?) Do I need to book ahead of time and can I book it thru website. I'd like to check it out and replanning my trip, maybe train and hire car is the way to go too.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Delhi to Agra

Yes, you can fly, but it will take nearly the same time as you spend on road (2 hour before checkin and travel to/from the city to the airport). Alternatively, you can catch a Volvo bus from Delhi which drops you in 5 hrs at Jaipur or catch a train.

You can use the following link to book bus tickets:

http://www.rsrtc.gov.in/eticket.asp

Train is the most comfortable way to travel in this sector. All types of train tickets can be bought online. Please visit:

www.cleartrip.com or www.irctc.co.in

It's advisable to book train ticket as much in advance as possible, as the booking opens 90 days before the travel date.

Now, next question:

Yes, in Jaipur you can take a day trip with RTDC which will be limited to landmarks. So, if you want to explore the street, you can hire point to point auto rickshaw or man-pulled rickshaw (based on distance) or car.

Yes, you can walk to Taj and Agra fort if you stay in a hotel close by. If you are not very close, then you can use the three-wheeler (auto rickshaw) which is pretty pocket-friendly. To reach Fatehpur Sikri and Sikandara (if you don't want to miss), it's advisable to hire a car.

Happy Travelling.

Vivek