We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

Which Agra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

While we were in India we traveled from New Delhi to Agra on the Shatabdi Express. It all turned out well and I recommend this train but we almost fell for a scam when boarding at the New Delhi Railway Station.

I had purchased the train tickets in advance through Cleartrip and printed out the electronic reservation. When entering the gate to the platform where luggage is screened we were asked to show the ticket. The person told us the ticket could not be used and had to be exchanged for a boarding pass. He pointed us to an office across the street where this could be done. We went to this office, where they told us we had failed to reconfirm the ticket 4 hours in advance and therefore our seat was given away. They then offered to help us find alternate transportation. This didn't seem right so we went back and tried to enter the platform again. We were stopped by a different individual who told us our ticket could not be used and pointed across the street to another office. This office had a similar story that we were wait-listed. We went back again and watched until no one was at the gate and made our way through and on to our train. Our seats were open and there was no problem when the conductor checked the ticket.

We now realize that none of these individuals at the gate were railway officials. They are simply trying to distract you long enough so that you miss the train and have to seek alternate transportation at great expense.

If you purchase tickets through Cleartrip, they are confirmed and no additional reconfirmation is required. The ticket that they provide can be used directly and does NOT need to be exchanged for a boarding pass. When anyone asks to see your ticket, ask to see their ID!

Agra was fantastic; you don't want to miss it.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,632 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

This is called "Lapka giri' in local language. Lapkas are everywhere at tourists places. It was good you mentioned about your experience on this forum for others to know.

deepak

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

yeah this touting thing is crazy around railway station but great to hear that you made it,

Cheers !

agra
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

the best way to avoid lapkas ,dont talk just ignore all of them.even dont have eye contact.

check id .

Have a good time.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

Thanks so much for taking the time to inform people here about this scam. I'm sure it will make people that are taking the train i India to be more vigilant.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

I have a question ?

Am I obliged to show my ticket to whoever asks to see it ? Can I refuse to show it ? (except of corse to a security personnel)

Bhageer

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

You only have to show your ticket to uniformed Ticket Checkers and Security personnel, who will also be in uniform. If anyone else asks for it, ask to see their ID first.

California
Level Contributor
453 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

Thanks for the heads up......... will definitely keep it in mind.

Agra, India
Level Contributor
750 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

Thanks for sharing this Mark, this would be helpful for future travelers.

Sunil

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

Hi

thanks for the good advise, we are going next week and have

our ticket from Clear trip also.

Good of you to take the time to inform TA.

thanks

Mims

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watch out for scams when boarding trains at New Delhi

In most train stations in India, head right to the tourist office in the station as soon as you pass the screening. Ask for a repesenetive to come to you if you can't get through the screening. They are a great help with any questions you may have. We learned to report there first before boarding even if we were secure with our tickets and platform assignments. They were a great help and securtity for us. Usually they will arrange to luck up your bags for you if you happen to have a long layover in a town, in additon to directing you to clean toilets in the station and confirming tickets. A Must to prevent being scammed or missing a train becuase of platform changes that you did not hear.