We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do all day?

Which Agra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clacton
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
What to do all day?

We are planning to get to agra at 8am and got to the Taj, then onto the Red Fort. I reckon we will be done by 1pm, what can we do for the rest of the day until 8pm for the train back to Delhi?

UK
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do all day?

You can visit markets there which are very famous, i was in a market near mosque , don't know exactly the name of that market but streets in that market was really impressive.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do all day?

After Agra fort and Taj Mahal, You can visit Sikandra that is tomb of Akber the great, Chinni ka roza with beautifull glazed tile work, Mehtab bagh from where it is very beautifull view of Taj mahal from across the river at sunset.

deepak

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do all day?

Good ideas Deepak......

may be you could also visit the itmad-ud-daulah whilst you are there....... but somehow am not sure you will be done with the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort by 1pm.......

Deepak how long would it take to get to Sikandra from Agra ??? I shall be travelling to India next year and i really want to visit Sikandra this time round...... and am hoping i can get my tour operator to squeeze it into the itinerary depending on how long it would take to get there ???

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do all day?

You won't be done by 1pm but in any case, when you arrive there will be tuk tuk drivers all trying to get your attention, take one for the whole day and he will organize your day, just make sure you tell him you don't want any un scheduled shopping trips and agree on the price before you get in.

agra india
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do all day?

Sikandra is on the out skirts of Agra City on the way to or from Delhi. It is app. 12 kms from taj . If you are coming by road from Delhi or going to Delhi it is convinient to do.

deepak

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do all day?

Thank you so much Deepak........ i thnk i shall try and schedule that in with my tour operator...... is there anything else in Sikandra that is definitely worth a visit ????

sydney
Level Contributor
385 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do all day?

Sikandra is so well worth a visit. May I suggest that you read a little about Akbar prior to seeing his tomb. He was an amazing character, and knowing something about his life makes visiting his tomb so much more rewarding.

Hope you do manage to fit it into your schedule, and that you enjoy the visit.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 21:18
agra india
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do all day?

Main entrance to the tomb is very imposing. Akber is very important name in Mughal History so reading about him before or having a good guide to show you monument and tell you about him will definitely enhance ur experience.

deepak

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do all day?

Hey

I just got back from a visit to Agra and the Taj. How ever you plan to spend the time after the Agra Fort is ok, but I would highly recommend viewing the Taj during sunset from Mehtab Bagh with the Yamuna river. Considering you have your return train at 8, you can get there around 5:30 watch the sunset till about 6:30 and then head back to the train station.

Another way to spend some of your extra time can be to have a lunch at one of the Taj View restaurants i.e. Taj Khema at the east gate, Amarvilas Hotel(5* hotel) or Kamal Hotel.

Hope this helps

Udit

about.me/udithooda

TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do all day?

history lesson - the mughals were actually Mongols who came from Mongolia, captuared the middle east including Iran (Persia) and then came east to capture India.