We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

wiltshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

I just want to share an experience which almost ruined our trip to Agra recently.

We had booked etickets well in advance for the Shatabdi Express train which leaves Delhi for Agra at 6.15 am returning late evening. We brought copies of the etickets with us as well as our passports.

Arriving at the station we were asked by someone to show him our eticket before we got to the platform - he told us that we needed a boarding pass to be allowed to board the train, and we would need to go to Connaught Square to get one as the office in the station was shut at the time.

I was absolutely insistent that we would get on the train, so we did - and fortunately all was well. We later found out this is a common scam; the person tries to make you miss the train you are booked on then arranges to drive you there at great expense.

There are warnings about not handing your ticket to anyone once you get on the train, but these are a bit late to be of any use.

So, just be aware - a tourist at Delhi train station early in the morning is an easy target. We were travelling with children so probably even more of a target.

59 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

As you say, a common scam. But thank you for the reminder.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to India.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,988 posts
1,789 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

This type of thing is highlighted in the Delhi forum often.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

GreenMabel, Post it in Delhi Forum also.

Thanks for posting this and here are links of other different scams--

tripadvisor.in/…14120393

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k4048…

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g304551-i3482-k4528…

deepak

Edited: 07 May 2012, 02:25
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

Thanks for posting this. It does come up quite frequently here but the more people post these warnings the more likely it is that people won't be caught out.

wiltshire
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

Thanks, I apologise for re-posting something which had already been mentioned on here before - but I had not seen the warnings when I was planning our trip, so I hope it might help others.

We had a wonderful holiday in India and hope to come back.

agra
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

the same happened with my client recently he paid 175 USD just for dropping to agra with tiny old car.

I was waiting for him at the station.

He called me later ,so told him to meet in Agra. Otherwise driver wd have been taken him to touts in Agra as well.

Shanu

New Delhi
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

GreenMabel,

It was good that you posted about scam at New Delhi Railway station. Advisor here are permanently but traveler comes now and then. This kind of post should be there whoever experience time to time.

Duni Rana

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

They tried the same with us when waiting for the train for Agra, luckily we had read the warnings on this site and were not caught out. The person was dressed smartly and made out he was an official, he soon moved on when we told him we knew we didnt have to validate our ticket.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,570 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

this is old scam. I request traveller to inform the police if you can. These fraud people should be punished.

It is difficult to do as you are runing short of time.

regards

Yogendra

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train

Hi GreenMabel,

Glad to know that all was well at the end.Tourists from abroad should not show off their train tickets to any one until they board the train as I believe that every foreigner is not aware of such scams & let the touts to win the game easily.

Thank you for your post, this may help other tourists to avoid daily hassle at the train stations.

Regards,

Raja Burza

Edited: 18 May 2012, 11:25
Reply to: Warning - scam affecting Shatabdi express Delhi/Agra train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted