We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Hi we are looking to travel from new delhi to jaipur in october and wondered what train was the most suitable. We are mid 50's but enjoy an adventure.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

There are many trains between Delhi and Jaipur at different times of the day.

You can look at the link below:

http://erail.in/?T=NDLS::JP

However best will be go by train no. 12015 Ajmer Shatabdi Exp. leaving at 0605 AM.

deepak

New Delhi
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Well suggested by above post. Ajmer stb leave from New Delhi railway station at 0600hrs and reach jaipur at 1030Hrs. It's best train on this route.

Thx

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Thanks...guess my main concern was getting to the station early enought to catch the 6am train....How much time should I leave myself to arrive before train departs...I assume I can buy the ticket online before I go...If I am in Delhi 4 days before the train goes would it be easier to get the ticket then or better to buy a few months in adance.

The two other options i saw were the Ashram express (first class) or the 12986 Double decker AC which both go in the afternoon but no sure how suitable they are.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Hi,

Getting the tickets at the window could be a problem,better book your tickets in advance.

First class in any train is a luxury,so if you can manage to get the tickets,it would be nice. And the Double decker train starts in the evening from Delhi, reaches Jaipur around 21:30-22:00 hrs.

Thanks

agra
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

I think car would be not so expensive .

And if you go by car you can visit Fatehpur sikri and abhaneri step well en route. Worth to visit.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

All trains are sold online and the smartest thing is to book ahead. if the idea is to have a bit of an adventure, then yes, the train is a good idea. If the idea is to save money, it may not meet that objective very well, given that you have to book 3 cars; one in Delhi for the transfer, one in Jaipur, and then again one car in Delhi for transfer. Note that in winter season the trains are routinely delayed.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Hi not sure why we need 3 trains....we are only going one way as meeting up with a tour in Japiur..I thought we would just book one ticket from Delhi to Japiur. There seems to be some suggestion that we should book a car...is this like a taxi...ie we get a driver to take us to Japiur and if so what sort of costs would we be looking at.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,028 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

You need not to book three trains but you have to make arrangements to go to railway station from your hotel.

It is better to book train tickets in advance as at last moment you may not find tickets in desired class. You can go by any of the trains you mentioned.

You can travel by cab also and cost will be around 100 USD depending upon type of car, condtion of car and what is included. Kaimur travel has not gone through your post as the places he has mentioned are not on the way from Delhi to Jaipur.

deepak

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

Thanks we are staying at the LaLit New Delhi so it seems to be reasonally close to the New Delhi Train station. How long would it take us to get there in a taxi in order to catch the 6am train....If we did decide to take the afternoon train would we be better off on the Ashram Express or the 12986 Double decker AC?

Your comments are very much appreciated.

Raipur...
Level Contributor
35 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train travel New Delhi to Jaipur

hi Becky , You staying at lalit its close to Railway Station but please understand the freedom when you have your own taxi .

You can get cab easily if you inform you hotel prior for drop to railway station. lait has a travel Desk & they will support you. I think you can bargain for complimentary pick up & drop with your stay before booking your Hotel.

Also Do you just plan to jaipur or would like to go cover more cities of Rajasthan like Udaipur , jodhpur etc Please decide accordingly.

if you take hotels similar to lait in delhi you can get good Deal with complimentary airport pickup & Drop 7 then you can book a separate cab for local Sightseeing.