We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

I will be booking two train tickets online for our travel from Lucknow to Jhansi on December 20th, 2013 overnight train and on 21st for Khajuraho, 22nd overnight for Varanasi, 25th for Allahabad, 26th for Lucknow and then from Lucknow we fly to Amritsar. How do I know what seats have been allocated to us. Will my husband and I get a seat/berth in the same compartment? I have a problem with my right knee and so is there any way we can get at least one lower berth. I am fine with walking but since my accident in April I have a problem bending my right knee and so if we both get upper berth it might be a problem. I am planning to book in AC 2A and AC 3A. The overnight journey I would have preferred AC 1A but don't see that class on the route we are travelling. Also what is the difference between the AC and sleeper. Is it advisable to travel on sleeper class if AC class is not available?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

rukie1

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

You can look at the links below:

http://seat61.com/India.htm#.UlvxCtKBlmM

www.indianrail.gov.in/reservation_Rules.html

Hope this will answer all your querries.

deepak

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Hi

"How do I know what seats have been allocated to us. Will my husband and I get a seat/berth in the same compartment? "

A.Once if it is a confirmed ticket, in the ticket information of Coach number, berth number along with whether it is lower berth or middle berth or upper berth mentioned next to berth number the following code will be there

LB - Lower berth, MB-Middle Berth, UB- Upper Berth SL-Side Lower berth and SU- Side Upper Berth

If it is a waiting list or RAC ticket you will be come to know berth/coach allotment only on journey date after chart is prepared

In A/C coaches there are two types 2 tier A/c (4 berth inside a bay) and 3 tier A/c (6 berth inside a bay)

Sleeper class berth arrangements and 3 tier A/c berth arrangements are same when former is non A/c coach and latter an A/c coach

When buying ticket offline or online you could request for lower berth but subject to availability you may be allotted if not you will get middle or upper berth

Edited: 14 October 2013, 15:06
agra india
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Booking opens 2 months before so book as early as possible.

deepak

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Thanks Deepak and Alen_10. I just registered myself with IRTC website but surprisingly yesterday the booking became available for December 13, 2013 and nothing was available. I hope the same doesn't apply for December 20th, 2013. Lucknow and Jhansi no tickets but there were lots from Jhansi to Khajuraho. Are there buses going from Lucknow to Jhansi or any prepaid taxis from the airport to Jhansi. How much would it cost if we took a taxi?

Thanks.

rukie1

agra india
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

I think for 20th Dec. you can try to book train ticket on21st Oct. earliest at indian time.

deepak

Vadodara, India
Destination Expert
for Gujarat, Kutch, Bhuj
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Hi rukie1,

The difference of Ac classes is explained below.

Sleeper class of train has open windows with bars for safety and it is without air conditioning so it is cheap to travel. There are 3 + 3 + 2 berths in each compartment of sleeper class. Three three berths opposite to ecah other and 2 berths adjacent to them. 3 AC class is just like sleeper class with air conditioning and curtains in each compartment for privacy. 2 AC class has 2 + 2 + 2 berths in each conpartment so more space and comfort are available. Curtains for privacy are there. 1 AC class has 4 berths in a compartment with doors instead of curtains making it seperate from adjacent compartments. There is more noise and dust in sleeper class with level of cleanliness very low. In ac classes there is no noise and dust and the cleanliness and other facilities increase with class. Also no bedding is provided in sleeper class and in Ac classes bedding is provided with no extra cost. The fare is double than sleeper class for 3 Ac, Triple than sleeper for 2 Ac and 4 times than sleeper for 1 Ac class.

Now allocation of berths is done through system and generally senior citizens get the lower berth. There is option of lower berth while you book online but its again subject to availability.

Cheers

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Hi,

Its not very easy to understand all railway system in one day and hard to explain all. If you are having any problem in booking train tickets you may contact Hemant on the following email address, he will help you in booking train tickets and also able to suggest the best possible routes to travel.

hemant_rajora@live.com

No need to hire taxi for all the way. There are many option to book these train tickets.

Hari Mangal

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Hi

Thanks everyone for helping me out. It was easy but a little slow.

Have successfully booked two tickets from Lucknow to Jhansi and Jhansi to Khajuraho. Will book the rest soon as the dates become available. I couldn't get 2A and so tried for 3A and have just received confirmed seats looks one is lower and one is middle upto Jhansi and then from Jhansi to Khajuraho lower and upper berth . I won't fuss at least we got the lower one and are just going to sleep until we reach Jhansi.

Thanks Deepak for giving me the date to book. I really appreciate it.

rukie1

Delhi
Destination Expert
for New Delhi
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Hi rukie1,

Lucknow to Jhansi & Jhansi to Khajuraho are short journey not over 06 hours so train class hardly matters if you booked your seats in day train. As per railway rule , everybody can sit on lower seat from 06 AM to 09 PM so it is irrelavant whether you booked middle / lower/ upper berth. It matters only after 09-00 PM journey.

Do not forget to visit Gwalior , Jhansi and Orchha before going Khajuraho. This is my personal opinion Jhansi to Khajuraho train is not useful in December as mostly train running late and also many things to see Jhansi & vicinity.

Hari Mangal

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
195 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seat/berth allocation in Indian Trains

Jhansi Fort and Orchha Temple is not to miss in This Route.

You can visit www.irctc.co.in and check the availabilty, Status and book your Tickets

Get answers to your questions about Lucknow
More Lucknow Topics