We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanasi or Jaipur

Which Varanasi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Varanasi or Jaipur

My husband and I are traveling to India in June

We have booked the Golden Triangle tour, however we would like to add a day in Varanasi

Is there an overnight train from Agra to Varanasi, spend the day going down the river, take an overnight train to Jaipur

is this doing too much

should we cancel the time in Jaipur

or forget about Varanasi

need advice as June is coming up quickly

Agra
Destination Expert
for Agra
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

Definitely there is an over night train from Agra to Varanasi and vice verse too.The order of the tour is supposed to be like this--Delhi>Jaipur>Agra>Varanasi>Delhi or Delhi>Varanasi>Agra>Jaipur>Delhi either way is fine.the cities in GT are well connected by road/train.

2NDelhi>2NVaranasi>1NAgra>2NJaipur.

If your time is limited skip Varanasi...may be next time.

Thanks

Rashid Agra

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

Without knowing your arrival and departure date and time, it is not possible to offer you a sensible suggestion.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

i think the best will be if you start your golden triangle tour from jaipur and from Agra you can take overnight train to Varanasi then fly to delhi..

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
7,958 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

In Varanasi you need atleast two days and a night. There is flight between Delhi and Varanasi and on certain days to Agra. You can look at this option if you are short of time.

deepak

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

As you have already booked your Golden Triangle Tour, so you can ask your tour operator to add on Varanasi in your tour. And as per the convenience it can be done. And for sure the Varanasi is a good place to explore, this city is situated on the bank of sacred Ganges and hindu pilgrims come from different part of the country to bathe in the river Ganges, a ritual which passes away all sins.

This city is well connected with Roads, Rail and Air. So it won't be a problem to reaching this destination.

P.s. : There won't be any flight from Agra to any part in India in the month of June, because flight starts from oct onward untill march.

So, you may go this way also Delhi>Agra>Jaipur>Varanasi>Delhi, Delhi, Agra, Jaipur you can do by car i.e. the Golden Triangle Tour. And from jaipur you can board a flight to Varanasi.

Regards,

Arun Agra

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

hi, i would highly recommend Varansai if you can arrange it. Check into the flight costs, as domestic flight costs in India can be inexpensive for us north americans if you book ahead! This would save you a lot of time. If not, as the other posters said, the trains are available from the cities you mentioned. i really suggest 2 nights in Varanasi, one night would be very rushed for what you need to see and more importantly, experience.

Jo

agra
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

Undoubtedly Jaipur.

Varanasi is very dirty city.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
103 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

Worth to go to Varanasi, one day one night is the right amount to feel the vibe if time is crunching. It is a city, dirty and all, truly like no other. You will regret more by not going than by going.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

I found Varanasi and Jaipur to be quite different experiences; both very enjoyable experiences and worth seeing both if you are able to.

Varanasi is like stepping into a time-machine; when you go down to the ghats and see people praying along the banks, washing, cleaning and meditating, the hustle and bustle of streets, rickshaws drawn by people and tight backalleys, it geniunely does feel like stepping centuries back. I found this city to perfectly represent how I imagined India to be.

My point is; Varanasi is an amazing place, so do your best to see it if you can, as well as Jaipur. It may be a stretch to see them both and the tight travel times may be stressful, but when you look back you will not regret it :)

newyork
Level Contributor
34 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varanasi or Jaipur

Varanasi is amazing!!! Don't miss it!