We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Varanasi--water levels

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Varanasi--water levels

Is there still flood water in Varanasi, will it be possible to take a boat ride at end of October?

Agra, India
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Hi-

There is no flood in Varanasi. You can do boat ride.

Arun

Varanasi
Level Contributor
527 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Two days ago , water raised up to 4 stairs but again its receding. There is no high flood as it was a month ago, but water is still little high comparing to normal level. Its receding though, and hopefully will be at normal level soon.

You can do the boat ride without any doubt.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Thankyou both for your replies. That makes me feel happier as I really look forward to the boat trip.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Water levels are normal in Varanasi, You can easily take those boat rides there. Enjoy your tour

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Thankyou.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Water level currently in not consistent due to too much rain however by october end there will be no such problem and you can enjoy boat ride.

Haslett, Michigan...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Iwill arrive oct 24, do you think the water levels will be low enough to walk the ghats?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,382 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Varanasi--water levels

The Ganges river is fed by the monsoon run off from the mountains in the north. Once the monsoon season ends, the amounts of water coming into the river will reduce significantly.

Usually monsoon ends in September. This year we have some rains in October also. However the boat rides are already happening in Varanasi right now, the water level is not rising. I think by the time you come (Oct 24) the water will not go down substantially but you will be able to walk along at least some of the bigger / main ghats. There will be no rain at that time mostly likely (I hope).

Edited: 14 October 2013, 05:22
Varanasi
Level Contributor
527 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Varanasi--water levels

Who can know about the nature , we can just guess only. Hopefully you will be able to walk around the ghats . The cleaning job of mud scattered due to flood is still going on and it will take sometime but as far as the current situation is, you can only walk on important ghats such as the famous Dashashwamedh etc. There is no problem with the boat ride .

Varanasi, Uttar...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Varanasi--water levels

The boats are running but the cyclone caused them to stop for 2 days last weekend. Everything appears to be back to normal now. I have lived in Varanasi for 13 years and as others have said, once the monsoon ends it is safe to assume you can use the boats, but due to floods earlier and the recent rains the water level is high and one cannot walk easily between all of the ghats (riverside embankments). Jai