We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible hotel experience

Antarctica
Level Contributor
472 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Terrible hotel experience

Hi, I have tried unsuccessfully to review a hotel in Varanasi in which we had a terrible experience. For some reason, Tripadvisor refuses to post it even though I have been a member since 2005 and am a so-called Top Contributor. I have tried a few times. Are negative, but honest, reviews no longer acceptable? Or is it that I can't mention criminal activity at the hotel by staff? Answers from DEs would be appreciated. Thanks.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
38,343 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible hotel experience

Which hotel it was??

Edited: 26 December 2013, 07:32
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible hotel experience

Perhaps the post had language that did not meet guidelines? I can't see any other reason.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible hotel experience

You can put that on forums giving details of hotel and incidents.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible hotel experience

You can post about that incident here, so that other travelers can read it

Nagpur, India
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible hotel experience

You can share in this thread many travelers search in forum

Antarctica
Level Contributor
472 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible hotel experience

Thanks for the replies. The hotel in question was the Hotel Ganges View. We were picked up by the hotel at the airport. The 20 km drive in took 3 hours as the driver inexplicably chose an ongoing traffic-clogged road due to construction when alternatives were available. When we arrived the staff shrugged off the incident, no welcome drink, and no explanation or apology for the waste of our holiday time. Things just got much worse from there. We were given one bottle of water upon arrival for our 3 night stay. When we questioned this as being out of line for the price we were paying, the manager told us to "brush our teeth with tap water" which is contrary to all advice given. Every previous hotel that we had stayed in provided daily water. The breakfasts were meagre by any standard. Now for the real concerns. There were guests staying at the hotel openly doing drugs on the patio with no worry for the nearby staff. Actually, they were taking photos together. Then the icing on the cake. A staff member lied to us about the hotel not doing currency exchange. He "helped us" by taking our money and going elsewhere to do the exchange. Upon returning, he informed us that he could do it elsewhere but at a lower exchange. We took it. The next day we just happened to require more currency and found a place to do it at a much better rate. It happened to be the same place that he had gone to the previous day. The man behind the counter told us that the rate had been consistent for 5 days so obviously our "friendly" staff member at the Hotel Ganges View had pocketed the difference. I took him aside and told him to give us back the difference that he had cheated us or we'd report him to the manager. He admitted to it and agreed to pay it back. He then disappeared and we told the manager. We were shocked at the response. The manager just casually took a wad of cash from his pocket and casually refunded us the difference as if this happens all the time. He then said that he'd speak to his brother who at the time was sitting behind the front desk. In other words, nothing will happen to him and they are probably all in on this, and most likely, other scams. We felt unsafe the whole time there as the lobby constantly has a whole bunch of male staff just sitting around looking creepy. No details are provided for services offered, staff forget rates that are quoted or given...the perfect brew for scamming tourists.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
472 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible hotel experience

As an update, my review has finally been accepted for those who are considering staying at this hotel.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,867 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible hotel experience

I don't understand why you stayed there for the duration if you felt unsafe? Apart from that it just sounds like a typical Indian style small hotel. Traffic and roads - all part of the India experience I am afraid.

Antarctica
Level Contributor
472 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible hotel experience

@Igirl That's a fair question. By the time everything started to unravel, we figured that moving would be too much of a hassle and we weren't too impressed by other offerings. We did take precautions, for example, requesting that our room not be cleaned as we didn't want to take the chance of having anyone come inside. We did not eat there. Kept valuables on my person and so on. The major scam and drug incident happened on our last day so we braved it.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible hotel experience

I'm actually quite surprised as we stayed there and really enjoyed it and saw nothing of what was posted here, I'm wndering if it's since been taken over by a new owner.