We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Topic
Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Can this route be visited in the last week of Nov? We are planning for a 10 days holiday in these area. We want to visit Chopta - Tunganath - Chandrashila - then to Deoriya Tal. Please suggest.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Winter will be started in last week of November. Chopta might be covered with snow. Keep heavy woollens in the baggage.

Chopta > Chandrashila (Tungnath) 5 kms. > Ukhimath 30 kms > DeoriaTal 2kms trek from Sari village of Ukhimath - Gopeswar Road.

There are chances of road blockage by snow.

Edited: 16 July 2011, 08:48
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
353 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

This can be visited anytime of the year and is best visited after the end of pilgrimage session. I went there in late February and the Chandrashila peak was not accessible without proper climbing gear. Methink things might be same in late November. So beside warm clothes make sure that you carry proper boots, climbing gear and do take a guide with you. Don't pick just any guide as we found out to our amazement that a local guide who was leading a group of 10 germans was actually more scared then those whom he was guiding :-) 10 day is more than enough to cover Chopta - Tungnath - Chandrashila - Chopta - Ukimath - Sari - Deoriatal and back to wherever you need to go next.

I along with my friends did this in 2 days itself. We stayed 1 night in Chopta did Tungnath in the morning, couldn't climb to Chandrashila as there was heavy snow and we didn't had proper gear. Returned by afternoon to Chopta and took a cab to Sari village which is the base camp for Deoria Tal (800 bucks) Had our lunch and went on to trek to Deoriatal. Reached there by 4 spent an hour or so and returned to Sari and spent our night there. Even accommodation go very easy on your pocket.

But since you have 10 days you can easily spend a night at Chopta, then Tungnath and the next day ascend to Chandrashila and later you could either spend your night again in tungnath or you may drive to Sari Village and reach Deoriatal the same afternoon and camp there for night. Here's my post on Tungnath for more details http://goo.gl/CoQ4v and here are a few pics if you want to check them out http://goo.gl/j1Yhq

All the best! Cheers!

Nikz

Edited: 29 September 2011, 13:57
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Can you please suggest resorts and activities to do in chopta and nearby places for my visit for 3 days

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
353 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

GMVN in Chopta is your best bet for accommodation. There are no set prescription of what to do in Chopta. It is also known as mini-Switzerland and there are many bugyals out there to be explored as you go off the road and into the valley.

One of the most popular activity in Chopta is the Tungnath-Chandrashila trek which could be easily done in 3 days time. You may also go to Deoria Tal or if you are adventurous enough you may go for trek to Deoria Tal from Chopta itself. Another way is to hire a cab and drive till Sari Village from where it is quite safe and less risky to undertake Deoria Tal trek.

All the best!

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
37,582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

shivam009

You won't get any standard accommodation in Chopta. Because, the area is under Kedarnath Forest Reserve, where any construction of hotels etc are not allowed. GMVN T.B. is no longer there. I would suggest you to stay in either Ukhimath or Gopeshwar. From where you can do Chopta in day tour, its only 30-35 kms distance. Takes 45 min to 1 hr by car. You can try Priyadarshini Hotel in Ukhimath, contact Mr.Gagan Bisht / 9761213048 or 9555223829.

AshisRoy

Edited: 26 March 2012, 07:58
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
353 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Hello Ashish,

Thank you for the update. Can I ask you if accommodation is really not available anymore in Chopta? I was there last July and stayed in Chopta itself. Our room was located by the side of the steps leading up to Tungnath. I wonder if it is open for accommodation anymore or not as I was planning to return to Chopta next month myself. Can you tell me when did they close down and why?

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,582 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

chandra

I did not mention there is no hotels in Chopta. There are a few small accommodations in chopta, which cannot be recommended.

AshisRoy

Edited: 26 March 2012, 14:08
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

Thanx a lot for all d info..

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

is end of march will be good for deoria - chandrashila? if 10 young members ( ready to strugle) members attend the trekk pogram, can u tell me what could be the budget per head? and if possible can u send more details.......? abhisek20@gmail.com

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chopta- Tunganath- Chandrashila- Deoriya Tal

sir we are planing for ukhimath-deuriatal-tunganath -gourikund. we will car from ukhimath to sari gram easyly. but how can we go to tunganath and gourikund, from sarigram and tunganath respectively.? is there car or buses are available?