We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
Save Topic
Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Entry of foreigners into the famous Corbett National Park may be five times more expensive if Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna has his way.

Mr. Bahuguna on Friday said there is need to increase the park’s revenue and directed the authorities to charge five times more fee from foreign tourists. At present, a domestic visitor pays Rs.200 while a foreigner pays Rs.1,000.

thehindu.com/todays-paper/…article3561033.ece

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Rediculous!!!

No other way to put it.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,429 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Indeed. They will lose visitors this way and other places like Ranthambore will gain.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Why am I not surprised!

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, Katra, Maharashtra, India
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Would be a bad move if they do it.

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

from the report it seems just a discussion and 'we' know how many such discussions comes into force!! finally

so lets us wait and watch

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

I do not want to give too much credence to this subject, I imagine it is a precursor to an increase in entry fees. 100% increase will not be so bad, as we thought it may be 500% ??

But if there is any truth in the article, this is my take on it.

A trip to Corbett is not cheap, but compared to some other parks in India, its very good value. Compared to other, better places, it is very poor value for money

At present a foreigner pays 5 times more than an Indian national to enter, and twice as much for rooms. I have little problem with that, a countries residents should be able to enjoy their nature at an affordable price, despite the fact that most Indians now earn more than me.

But it seems to me, that to increase the foreigners entry fee another 500% would be nothing short of suicidal for Corbett. I for one, a huge fan of Corbett, would not even contemplate such a horror.

For the average foreign visit ( ie; a couple) that is ₹ 10,000, or at todays rate that is £ 115 or put another way $ 175 USD, and that is just for entry fees.

On top of that there will still be the jeep hire, guide, etc to pay for aswell.

The cost to enter Kruger in South Africa is 192 ZAR or £14.70 or put another way $ 22.85 USD

Corbett is nice, but it is'nt Kruger, not nearly close, in any way, other than the lack of tigers. Quite a few Indian nationals visit Kruger.

Yellowstone costs only $25 USD per week for entry, per car, so for a couple that is fantastic value. Again, Corbett is not nearly Yellowstone, in any way.

Mind you, Yellowstone takes it off of you in other ways, but it is still not overly expensive. I notice that there are quite a few Indian nationals there too

I do not doubt there will be an increase, there usually is !

A couple of years back they hiked prices for foreigners by 300%, and I thought that was bad.

Yet despite those increases, Dhikala has not improved its facilities to any great degree. Other forest rest houses in the park have improved, if only by a little, but the expenditure still bears no relationship to the amount they must have going into the kitty (forgive the pun).

Paying in Dollars should prove interesting, especially as the Rupee is the only LEGAL currency in India. But I dare say there would be plenty of opportunity to syphon some off, and put it to "some other use".

"Some other use" being absolutely nothing to do with tiger conservation.

If anyone is daft enough to pay those extortionately high amounts to enter Corbett, you can bet your bottom dollar that the likes of Ranthambore, Bandhavgarh, and Kanha will charge as much before too long passes.

People will stop going, half of the present park employees will no longer be required, certainly not in the booking office anyway, and to cover costs they will need to turn to poaching tigers and elephants to pay bills.

Mining companies could always move in I suppose, they would be paying an income to the ministry coffers, and Mr Bahuguna would be happy.

Like CH said RIDICULOUS, but, its India, and its run by Indians.

One old Indian man, who is a lovely, and wise old man, and a good friend, once said...

"India is a land of a billion people ! Can we not find 500 honest men amongst those 1 billion people that we can trust to run India, honestly

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Bandavgarh is already with jeep and guide around 5000

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala, Kerala
Level Contributor
9,358 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

Oh dear, the Chief Minister is not well informed.

A well thought out post orbis and very interesting.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

A very well thought out post indeed and I agree with all of your points Orbis. They are absolutely spot on. The link in the first post did not say as much as this article. This one gives a much clearer insight as to what the main objective is and it is very obvious that corruption is the bottom line. "Some other use"

Nice observation about legal currency Orbis.

business-standard.com/generalnews/…

Jack

10. Re: Foreigners may have to pay five times more for Corbett entry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:47
Get answers to your questions about Dehradun
Recent Conversations