We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Topic
Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

We intend to travel to Mussoorie the week after Diwali in November by road. I have read most of the threads on the forum, however have not clearly understood the time it would take to reach Mussoorie. Can it be done in 6 - 7 hours (not counting a break in the middle) ??. Also would it make a difference if you leave relatively early in the morning (around 5) or is it that the roads are only not proper ??

we basically have 3 small kids, so travelling anything more than 6 hours on road will be slightly difficult.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
296 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

It should not take more than 6 hours (excluding the breaks). The road till Dehradun is plain and starts winding from Dehradun to Mussoorie.

Early morning departure will save you from the traffic in NCR so an additional saving of 30 mins-1hr.

The roads are pretty good, you wont find any difficulty on that aspect.

As it is festival time, there might be some rush, especially at Mussoorie.

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

I too have planed a trip from delhi-rishikesh-masoori. We have booked a hotel in masoori 12th to 14th Oct. but not planned for rishikesh.

Please advise the following:

1. If we start at 5 in the morning on 11 th for rishikesh and stay there overnight and head for masoori the next morning; will it be ok?

2. In spite of sitting in the hotel i would love to roam around and see the nature at its fullest....please suggest the roads and places.

3. and most importantly, I will travel by my Dzire (petrol) - self driving, what is the conditions of the road and is this car so powerful for these areas?

Regards

Dinesh

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
296 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

Rishikesh might take you around 4-5 hrs. After Haridwar it is slightly hilly road with twists and turns but the condition of the road is good. From Rishikesh, you can travel to Mussoorie via Dehradun in 2-3 hrs. The road is fine there also.

I hope you are good in driving on hilly areas where there are many twists and turns. Otherwise a driver is advisable. Dzire is pretty fine for this travel.

Once in Mussoorie, you have many different places nearby to go to like Kempty Falls, Sahastra dhara etc. Laxman Jhula is on the way from Rishikesh to Mussoorie.

New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

Thanks a ton Viksdelhi,

Will you please also advise me any quality budget hotel for a noghts stay at Rishikesh on 11th Oct. (Budget Rs.1000.00). I will be traveling with my wife two kids (7 yrs n 2 yrs) and my parents.

Also we want to travel (from rishikesh to masoori) through the Rajaji National Park, is it ok at this time (any kind of threat)?

Regards

Dinesh

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
296 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

You will anyway have to travel through the outskirts of Rajaji National Park while going from Rishikesh to Mussoorie (going via haridwar will be a long detour). Its a good road though through some dense forests. Some people say that they have sighted some big cats there, but I don't think that it is dangerous!!

There are many hotels in Rishikesh which can be tried but at the end it depends on what type of hotel you want. Tripadvisor have a ranking of these hotels along with their tentative rates. It might help you:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g580106-Rishikesh_Utt…

Sharjah, Sharjah...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

i am planning to go to mussoorie from Delhi on 24th july . i have to questions 1. is it safe to go . 2. how to reach there.

rita from dubai

Edited: 08 July 2013, 08:09
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
296 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

You can take a cab from Delhi to Mussoorie. This should not be a problem. The roads after Mussoorie are a bit of an issue.

Other option can be that you can go to Dehradun by Shatabdi train from Delhi and drive up to mussoorie by car (should take 1-2 hrs)

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,435 posts
592 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

Hi rita..

Mostly mussoorie remain unaffected by rain problems..until and unless very heavy rain..

Can plan..can reach by road and train.

By taxi from delhi to mussoorie take approx 6 hrs.

The best train is shatabdi express..from new delhi railway station at 6:50am and will reach dehradoon at 12:40 pm..

Take local taxi for mussoorie..ambassader car is in bulk there.. Rates are fix and needs approx 1 hour.

Dehradun, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

Should not be hard start at Five by around 11am u will be touching Dehradun with a moderate car seed of 80kms to 100 kms/hr. Should stay in Savoy Mussoorie as they have the best place for kids big huge open spaces to run about . Baby sitters and all and a lot of good games.. Contact me on tajgrad.yasho@gmail.com if u have any other queries

Dehradun, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Time from Delhi to Mussorie

Should not be hard start at Five by around 11am u will be touching Dehradun with a moderate car seed of 80kms to 100 kms/hr. Should stay in Savoy Mussoorie as they have the best place for kids big huge open spaces to run about . Baby sitters and all and a lot of good games.. Contact me on tajgrad.yasho@gmail.com if u have any other queries

Rishikesh is not suggestible rite now bcoz of heavy flooding