We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Oregon
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay?

My fiance and I will be heading to Bali in July for our honeymoon. We are very interested in staying in a villa with a private pool and love the indoor/outdoor bathrooms and mosquito nets around the beds. (and A/C) We have never been to Bali before, so we confused about which city to stay in. We want to experience many different restaurants and bars without completely breaking the bank. And, we also are very excited about learning and experiencing the Balinese culture. Our realistic budget is roughly $200 USD each night. Any guidance you can provide will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

It can all be a bit overwhelming when you know little about a place so can I suggest you first look here.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294226-Bali-Hotels.h…

t will give you some idea of hotels with honest appraisals and costs.

There are beautiful villas in Seminyak and Sanur which are both beach areas.

If you want to be a little more isolated from the action have a look at Ubud, Amed, Jimbaren.

Have a look and come and ask as many questions as you like so we have more idea where to lead you. :)

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
693 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

there are plenty of villas in seminyak. you'd want to go after mid july so it is out of school hols for aussies, you will get cheaper rates then.

i know there are villas at many resorts as well, sometimes if you wait until a month before you want you could really score a bargain as they want rooms filled. The sofitel at seminyak have beautiful ones, if you join Accor hotels club you get great discounts, free upgrades, 2 4 1 meals and upgrades. I can recommend highly. perfect for honeymoon. own pool and luxurious.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Unless you specifically go looking for the expensive restaurants, you won't break the bank. Even then, the expensive restaurants will probably be comparable in price to what you pay back home.

I'm with Linda on this one, there are some nice villas in both Seminyak and Sanur. Seminyak has got quite a young funky vibe to it, with lots of boutique shops, and funky bars and restaurants. The beach is long and wide and the surf is rough.

Sanur is quieter, more relaxed, less built up and has more of a village atmosphere. Plenty of restaurants, a handful of bars, shops, a department store. The beach is quite nice, and there's a shallow lagoon off shore which is protected by a reef from the surf.

Depending on how long you're there, I'd certainly recommend a few days in Ubud too. There are some magical properties there amongst the rice fields, and you can experience the cultural side of Bali, with dance and music shows, art galleries, museums. It's also quite a good base for any tours you want to do. Ubud has a vast range of restaurants, and some nice spas.

Hope this helps.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
300 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Hi,

Have been researching private villas with pools etc over the past few months via TA and property websites. Looking at 10 days in Jan 09.

Wife of 31yrs and I have selected Sanur as the preferred location and shortlisted in order of preference: Aston Legends Villas and Zen. Would like to consider Pavilions but outside our price range.

Aston legends is No. 2 recommended on TA list for speciality premises and Pavilions is No. 1.

Lots of differences in prices quoted between the property and accommodation sites. For example Aston legends will not negotiate web quoted price. However, www.agoda.com is approx $USD140.00/night.

Have gained a preference for agoda having used their on line instant help service with sucess. Beware of AsiaRooms there are numerous posts commenting on their less than ethical practices.

Have also found TA excellent for all those little questions even though partner and I are well travelled through Sout East Asia.

Happy hunting,

Oregon
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

In the shallow lagoon off on the Sanur beach, is there snorkeling available? Is it worth bringing our snorkel equipment?

I'm thinking that Sanur sounds really great for our honeymoon. Is is possible to visit Semanyak for a day and then go back to Sanur at night? Or, is it too far?

Thanks for you help.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,919 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

It depends whereabouts in Sanur you are, there can be lots of seaweed in the lagoon. But it's okay for snorkelling. For the best snorkelling, lovely crystal clear waters and brightly coloured fish, you'd be looking at Candi Dasa, which is nice, but very very quiet! And there's no beach there to speak of really.

It's fairly easy to get to Seminyak from Sanur, you'd be looking at about a 40-50 min taxi ride depending on traffic.

7. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Denpasar
Recent Conversations