We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling to Bali with a newborn

I plan on travelling to Bali later this year with our newborn who will be about 6 weeks when we depart. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am now a bit nervous as i know that the medical facilities over there are not great should something go wrong....

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Six week is very young. If you are breastfeeding make sure you keep hydrated and your baby will also. If using formula, buy a jug for boiling water if your room doesn't have one .Buy a small mosquito net, and take any normal precautions that you would at home.

Many people take their babies, I must admit mine was 2 before i relaxed enough to take him to such a hot place and I think it just the heat and mosquitoes I would be concerned about.

BIMC and SOS are good medical facilities.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

If you are breastfeeding, then make sure you keep breastfeeding that way you won't have to worry about boiling bottles, water etc. Keep the baby well covered when you venture out in the heat by either covering your pram with a sarong or similar or covering your baby if it's being carried. The Balinese just love kids. There are great medical facilities at both BIMC and SOS.

Sydney, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Thankyou both for your messages - i feel a bit more relaxed now knowing that there are great medical facilities available if need be.

I have travelled to Bali before but it has been a VERY long time between trips so i really appreciate your help and advice.

australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Is your baby still waking for feeds during the night? If so I would think about your accommodation as well. I stayed in a room next to a very young baby once and it woke me up every 3 hours during my entire weeks holiday.

No fun for me and I am sure uncomfortable for them knowing it.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Your babe can have their 1 st immunisations on the childhood schedule at 6 weeks now rather than 8 weeks . Have them a few days before you go.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

you will find all baby clothes, wet wipes, disposables, creams, lotions etc all very cheap in bali. I used to take milton tablets as they were lightweight and then buy a cheap plastic container in bali so I could disinfect dummies. A baby sling will be useful and these are also very cheap in Bali. IF you are going to take a pram / stroller ensure it is very light weight and folds easily. I always used to buy a cheap second hand one for about $10 - $20 in oz from an op shop / garage sale. this was better than taking my own in case it got damaged and also so I could leave it in Bali. I also took a couple of clothes pegs to attach a sarong / baby wrap to the stroller to keep the sun off.

Don't expect to find car seats in bali but IF you want to hire a driver for a day trip and would prefer your baby is in a proper car seat we have a list of recommended drivers and some of them have car seats. Dean is just one of them. Also take some baby panadol for 'just in case', you can buy this in bali but it is better to have it with you.

Perth
Level Contributor
218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Our friends had no option but to take a 2 week old baby to Bali last year (her brothers wedding). they hired a nanny, So the baby stayed in the (air con) hotel room basically the entire time. They had no problems. Enjoy your hoilday :)

Perth
Level Contributor
218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

Our friends had no option but to take a 2 week old baby to Bali last year (her brothers wedding). they hired a nanny, So the baby stayed in the (air con) hotel room basically the entire time. They had no problems. Enjoy your hoilday :)

Perth
Level Contributor
469 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

I have just bought some insect repellant patches from the camping area at K mart. I have seen these recommended on TA before as a natural alternative to spray/ roll on insect repellant and thought they may be useful if you take your new born to Bali. They work with Citronella oil, last up to 120hrs per patch and apparantly work just as well stuck onto the side of a pram/ carry basket ie - no skin contact required.

Australia
Level Contributor
479 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Bali with a newborn

We used the patches in March with our little ones in conjunction with insect repellant. Used to stick them on the pram, cot etc. Seemed to work well. We got the ones at Kmart as well as they seemed reasonably priced.