We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jimbaran Safety

Which Jimbaran hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
2 posts
Save Topic
Jimbaran Safety

Hi,

Just wondering what your thoughts are about the safety of Jimbaran (as compared to other parts of the island) with regards to Westerners. Don't mean to offend at all, but just curious as I will be coming to Bali with my girlfriend.

Thanks much.

Netherlands
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Hi Fishman.

I went to Jimbaran and stayed there for 3 weeks with school. We had to do research on Jimbaran as an tourism destination, cause i study inetrnational tourism management.

I can asure you that Jimbaran is safe. You cannot say it for the fully 100% off course, about any destination. I have always felt safe while i was in Bali, and in jimbaran, and It is usch a beautiful island.! om my god, i felt in love with it, and i going back in august.! it is so nice, you realy have to go, don't worry about the safety.

Have a very nice time there, You will love it! i'm surtain about that!

Greetings Irene xxx

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jimbaran Safety

I always find these questions rather bemusing about Indonesia... Especially as they are usually from people living in the States! (with some of the worst violent crime stats in the world!)

I understand that because of the unfortunate events in Jimbaran in the recent past the coverage by the US media may have given you a false impression of Bali... Bali is generally a peaceful place that has been victim of a few crazy people in the recent past... in general the people of Bali are friendly and lovely! (and also mostly Hindu!)

You should by all accounts be very safe in Bali - just look after your belongings just as you would in any country...

FYI according to Nation Master here are the crime stats for assault

USA - 7.56923 per 1,000 people

Indonesia - 0.0767107 per 1,000 people

nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-…

Hope this reassures!

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jimbaran Safety

fishman -- I was in Jimbaran in January and felt perfectly safe. The Balinese and many tourist properties have instigated a good deal of safeguards, vehicles checks, increased hotel security patrols, etc.

I feel incredibly bad that the Balinese have obviously suffered a great deal from the fallout of those attacks in decreased tourism and revenue, as they truly are some of the most genuinely sweet and decent people I've ever met, and I've travelled a good deal.

But Brigid, if you notice more questions from US citizens, the reason has more to do with 9/11 than anything else. Most US citizens' direct experience with any form of terrorist bombing (even given the Oklahoma bombing -- which was an internal issue) before 9/11 was that these things happened to someone else in another country. Knowing that the two Balinese attacks were linked to similiar extrememists and launched at Western targets made many US citizens very nervous. Our government has had a field day waging a war of fear to try to keep us focussed on anything other than orange/red/yellow terror alerts. It's gets under the most sophisticated person's skin, and makes them question things they can't know for themselves when they're travelling half way around the world. When your State Department is issuing cautions, people ask questions. Hopefully that will shed some light on why the questions keep coming from people in the States. Almost everyone I met in Bali said how happy they were to see US citizens starting to come back.

The analogy to violent crime isn't really apt. The US is very large, crime stats vary widely from town to town and region to region. Most violent crime is perpetrated by people who already know each other against each other. And in some of our larger cities (take NY) crime actually diminished considerably during the 90's. Is it still a problem, most definitely. But someone who lives here knows where not to go, when not to go there, how to take care of themselves. They're really just asking the same question about a place they don't know.

I answered alot of questions in Bali from people who thought we really do have huge gun battles in the streets and frequent car chases based on our movies and tv shows. And if anyone wants to know how safe it is in NY or the wicked suburbs of NJ, I'll be happy to help them :)

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Well said, Jenskar. Between the State Department warnings, and now the FAA warnings against flying on Indonesian airlines, it's taken a lot of research on my part to get to the point where I felt I could make a decision to travel to Indonesia. If you listen to all the news, you'd think as an American you'd be walking around Bali with a big target on your back.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Sure, I totally understand the reasons behind why Americans especially are afraid of Indonesia...

It's just we get so upset here with the way the US media (and often Australian ) portrays Indonesia with their catch phrases, media hype and scare mongering. It can not help but affect people - however imbalanced and sensationalist the stories may often be.

As you say it is affecting the tourism and lively hoods of this lovely country... I know some terrible things happened here in recent years but they happened in the US and London too and I don't see these countries being stigmatized in quite the same manner. I believe the danger of terrorism is the same which ever country you are in.

As we have cable here It is interesting to see just how differently various news items are portrayed around the world - CNN, FOX, BBC, Aust Broadcasting, and Al Jazeera.

My mom grew up in New York and I have been back with her a few times (I love it BTW!) so I do understand what you mean by the polarization of crime areas in the US..... But in Bali there are very few (or any that I have noticed or heard of) dangerous places to go at all!

Violent crime is almost none existent here in Bali. (that was my point of the Stats) And yes I do think it is wise of Fishman to assess an unfamiliar situation..(I do the same before going to certain areas of JKT as it is a little bit like a SE Asian version of NY!)

My (very conservative) Mother and Father in Law were staying with us in Bali during the last bombings ( Jimbaran & Kuta)

I was glad in some aspects that they were here to witness the situation as they went back to NZ with the terrible event in correct perspective... rather than the media hyped version, and they now act as passionate, informal good will ambassadors for Bali amongst their peer group! (and have returned here since)

The Indonesian government have been internationally commended for their success in combating terrorism. And you can be assured Bali and it's people are doing everything in their power to avert any possible future incident.

The planes however are definitely a concern! I had to go to Jogya (on Garuda) 28 times in a period of 4 months last year - so you imagine how I felt seeing that on the TV! - (Not to mention the earthquake too - I returned to a couple villages in the worst hit areas where I had been getting some handicrafts made, a couple of months after the quake and I got lost as didn't recognize a lot of the area any more!)

Hopefully all the focus and attention will make the airlines clean their act up or shut some of the more dubious ones down...

Just another comment... when I first came to Bali many years ago it felt so hectic sometimes with lots strangers on the beach and everywhere trying to sell me things ... after you have been here a while you realize the place is actually very tight.

It is the same girls every day selling sarongs and the same ice cream men, guy selling paintings, watches etc in their particular patch - and that they are generally licensed to be in that particular area (even the Bakso carts etc) they all know each other and are generally aware of any person who shouldn't be there... especially these days...

I am just so glad despite all the hype you guys are still coming to Bali and Indonesia (As you can probably guess I am pretty passionate about the place!) And if you enjoy your stay please tell others back home what it is really like here...

All the best!

Brigid

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Thanks, Brigid. And yes, the planes have me most nervous of all! I'll be flying Merpati and Lion between Manado and Sorong. As you said, hopefully the publicity lately will force the airlines to clean up their acts.

Despite any concerns, I'm not only going to Indonesia this year, but have already booked to visit Bali and Wakatobi next year. Hopefully things will stay quiet, and there will be no earthquakes, tsunamis, or mudslides in the meantime!

I'm very much looking forward to both of my trips.

just outside NYC
Level Contributor
315 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Eric -- we flew Singapore Air and they have an excellent safety record. Also amazing service, even in coach. I fly them everytime I go to Asia. Used Thai Air locally in Thailand.

Brigid -- I so agree that it is awful how quickly the US media latches onto "tragedy" -- I really think it is the distance from the US that makes it harder for people to feel safe about a trip 1/2 way around the world - they just can't see that it's going to be ok. But having well spoken people like you educating others about the island has to help. I agree, I never felt unsafe and we travelled over quite a bit of the island. I remember the night of the all night "atonement" -- kids out in huge groups going from temple to temple on motorbikes, on foot, I'm sure we would have stayed out all night with them if we weren't so jet lagged! From what I saw, you are so right, there really didn't seem to be a "bad" part of Bali.

I came back from my trip with a real desire to help people understand that Bali is amazingly special. I grew up always wanting to go, then thought for awhile perhaps it was too "done" -- all those Balinese wedding trips people made. I am so glad we went this year and would love to return as often as possible. I spent about two weeks reading up on all the villa developments that are going in now. And my husband is seriously persuing a position in SE Asia. So who knows?

Eric -- that should tell you something :)

9/11 really did hurt NY, both for tourism and business for quite some time. I think if something had happened again two years later the impact would have been even more fierce.

I would tell anyone, go to Bali, and go now.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Jenskar - Oh, I'm very much looking forward to flying on Singapore Air! It's just the Indonesian airlines I'm worried about! The FAA on Tuesday downgraded Indonesian airlines safety rating and advised US citizens against flying on Indonesian airlines.

Here's a bit from the news: “On April 16, 2007, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that it has revised Indonesia’s safety oversight category from Category 1 to Category 2,” said the statement posted on the embassy’s website.

“Whenever possible, Americans travelling to and from Indonesia should fly directly to their destinations on international carriers from countries whose civil aviation authorities meet international aviation safety standards,” it said. Indonesia has been hit by a string of deadly transport accidents including plane crashes, raising doubts about the enforcement of safety standards. A Garuda jet burst into flames and shot off the runway in the city of Yogyakarta last month, killing 21 people. On New Year’s Day an Adam Air Boeing 737-400 carrying 102 people disappeared from the skies, with only small pieces of the plane found since.

Again, I'm not nervous at all about Singapore Airlines. It's Merpati and Lion that I'm concerned about, and there's not much else in the way of choices flying between Manado and Sorong, unfortunately. Next year my husband and I will again be on Singapore Airlines, but will be on one of the small airlines flying to Wakatobi.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jimbaran Safety

Security in Jimbaran is solid there are no problems. There are security checks in many hotels and venues, so its not a soft target for JI or any other extremist group. Also the village pecalan guys are on the look out for bad guys.

BTW, security in Bali is just to make tourists feel comfortable. Its not effective, but has been a big jobs producer since Bali bombs I and II. Some exceptions, like the Ritz Carlton, do a pretty good entrance check on cars. Most places just fake looking under the vehicle for bad stuff with a search mirror. Nusa Dua is the biggest show. The main tourist entrance now has a special security gate, but the other entrances are wide open and unmanned.

London
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jimbaran Safety

I,m sure anyone catching an underground train to work on 7/7 in London, would have had any expectation of being a victim of terrorism.

I have just come back from a holiday in New York (most hospitable city I have ever been to) but watching the news no other country existed and I can only imagine this makes US citizens (NO offence intended) paranoid about travel overseas.