We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indonesia with a baby (8mos old)

Philadel
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Indonesia with a baby (8mos old)

Hi. I'm looking for advice. My husband and I love to travel but have been laying pretty low the past year since becoming pregnant and having a baby. We will be traveling to Indonesia this September 2013 and want to make sure we plan it right for our baby.

We typically don't "plan" so to speak. My husband and I are the type of travelers who book the first night and last night of our holiday and figure the middle out as we go....and were typically "flashpackers"....not into sharing a room but enjoy family run boutique hotels that are fairly off the grid and fit nicely into our budget. If we end up not liking the place we just move on. Same goes for the island or the city we end up in. I have a feeling we need to have a slightly different itinerary with our child in tow so I'm hoping some friendly people on travelfish have advice for us.

My baby is still breastfed but by 8mos I will have him on a few solids. I can bring cereal and packaged food with me but is it safe for him to eat the fruit, bath in the water etc? We never worried about food for ourselves, typically still brush our teeth in local water when traveling, ate street food etc but I would die if he got sick so I need to be more cautious. Also, he will be too young for DEET or malaria pills....also too young for thyroid fever or japanese encephalitis vaccines. Are there places in Indonesia where I wont have to worry about these illnesses so much? When we were in Thailand I saw young children traveling all over. I imagine Indonesia is similar.

Are there places you would recommend? Boutique hotels or accommodations that are more baby friendly? I'm posting this under Jimbaran because the sound of pop up fresh fish stands on the beach sound amazing but we are willing to explore anywhere in Indonesia.

Thanks for your help!!

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indonesia with a baby (8mos old)

Here's some information compiled by one of the DE's, which should be of help to you during your stay in Bali ~

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

Sydney
Level Contributor
281 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indonesia with a baby (8mos old)

We went to Bali when our little one was 7 months old. It is a GREAT age to travel. I breastfed my girl there too wihtout a problem. My Dr assured me the best thing to do to ensure she stayed healthy was to continue to BF her, even if I were struck down with any illness. I had the basic vaccinations required and my little one had no specific vax apart from her scheduled baby needles. We also gave her a probiotic each day and at least one electrolyte iceblock to keep her hydrated in the heat.

I took prepackaged meals, but still fed her bits and pieces of the food we ate, but tended to stick to basic, cooked/fried foods that weren't much of a risk ie bread, fries, noodles, rice etc. We didn't give her any salads and were cautious with meat and certain veg.

We purchased a small tub and an extra large bottle of water and bathed her in that. We used lots of antibacterial wipes and boiling water to keep her toys clean.

I would try Sanur for a base. It isn't far from Jimbaran and is very child friendly and there are lots of cheap and cheerful accomodations which I'm sure would suit your needs, Gardenia Guesthouse, Ducks Nutz, Puri Sading all spring to mind. I've not stayed in any of them, but will be checking them when we stay in Sanur in August as our next trip we want to spend significantly less on accomodation than we have in our last two trips.

Have fun!

3. Re: Indonesia with a baby (8mos old)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:17