We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Money

Western Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Money

Hi all,

We head off to Bali for the first time next Sunday morning, will be there 8 days, we are planning on taking with us $2000 with access to more while away, we plan on doing some shopping, (and maybe have to send some back separately) how much money do experienced Bali Holidaymakers believe we should allow. It is only hubby and I travelling. Hotel is all paid for including breakfast. We will be hiring a driver for a minimum of 3 days, his costs are around the $50 au a day.

I would apprecaite some input from others about this please.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Money

My husband and I budget on around 100AUD's a day. We don't do a lot of shopping and do the occasional tour. We like to eat well and buy alcoholic drinks when we dine out. We also stock our fridge in our room with nibbles, soft drinks and wine and beer, we have puchased at the supermarket.

We will spend less some days and more on others, but I think that's a reasonable indicator.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Money

Hi Soo-Darwin,

Thanks for the info. We have bought our "big" purchase prior to heading off, a Digital SLR Camera, was better to buy one here before heading off, Also was cheaper than at Duty Free. We tend to do a reasonable amount of shopping, but like to eat the local food and also purchase alcohol. We also stock our own fridge up with beer, coke and nibbles that we buy at the supermarket. I have been telling hubby that $2000 is more than enough, but seeing as last year for some reason we went through a whole lot more money than usual when we visited Phuket for a week and Singas for a week on the way home he is a a bit wary to say the least. I consider if $2000 is not enough for 8 days then we have a huge problem. But he insists that we need more. Time will tell. Thanks heaps.....

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Money

Hello again. I am sure you will have plenty, but it doesn't matter if you bring home money...that's sort of a bonus. We also take our credit card (if you decide to do likewise, make sure your bank knows you are going away and that you may be using your card in Bali) and use that when and if we make any big purchases.

Good idea about buying your camera before you go. It means you have time to learn how to use it and if there are any problems, they can be fixed or a least you can get assistance before you are on holiay.

Have a great holiday.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Money

Soo-Darwin, when you say $100 per day do you mean for both of you or each as in $200 per day for both of you?????

I am going for 9 days and was planning on taking 2,000 for hubby and me.

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Money

You can eat very cheaply in Bali so $100 per day for 2 is plenty, especially if breakfast is already included at your hotel (not that breakfast costs more than a couple of dollars anyway!!) As Soo says, some days you will spend more, with tours and depending on what you buy, some days less while lounging around the pool.

We always bring our credit card to pay off the room tab and in case of emergencies and just keep it in the room safe.

It is far more expensive to eat in both Singapore and Phuket. I really think you will be living like Royalty with your $2000!

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Money

We spent just under 3,000 for 21 days and we hired a driver for three of those days and did a couple of tours that was for two of us so I think you will have plenty and as said before bringing some back with you is a bonus

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Money

Ditto to all that Andrea has said...$100 for the two of us, per day, approximately.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending Money

Thanks everyone.

I will cut it back to $1,500 and take an ATM card just in case.

Cheers

Pam

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,252 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending Money

I wouldn't worry about taking the money Pamies. Just make sure you put most of your cash safely away in your room safe (if it has one) or at the the reception area, where they should have boxes avalable to safely lock away your money and passports etc.

Perth
Level Contributor
387 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending Money

Hope you don't mind me dropping in LOL

There is 5 of us, 2 adults and 3 kids and I had planned on $3000 for 2weeks, which works out at just under $220 per day.

We have breakfast included for all our stay, had planned on using a CC for larger spending like waterbom, safari park and of course stocking up the fridge with the 'must haves'. Oh and a couple of days hiring a driver.

Hard to say what the shopping will be, apart from getting some extra clothing for wearing while there, the kids will want some games and the girls some clothes/shoes and hair stuff and i am mainly after small item homewares...hubby could not care less, so Bintang for him.

Also I do not want to be saying no all the time to the kids wanting a drink/eat around the pool or when we are out and about as it is a holiday

Do you think we should be taking a bit more or just fall back on the CC if needed?