We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
206 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Hi

first time heading to Bali in 2 days! :)

Heard from colleagues who just came back that their bags were search inside out at the customs when leaving.

I thought bags are checked in at the airport counter? i was going to bring my cable ties for my luggages when departing but if the customs are asking for a search, then there's no point cable tying

beforehand.

Just wondering if this is a one off that happen to my colleague or it's a usual practice?

Also abit worried because I was told the customs will confiscate anything "suspicious" items because they are corrupted.

Is it also safe to bring my laptop there, I will have it in my hand carry.

thank you! :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Loveducks,

We have been going to bali for over 10years now and have only once had our luggage checked at customs when leaving bali. I had incense holders in the suitcases and they thought they were bb guns. Never had anything confiscated. We also take our lap tops in hand luggage and not a problem.

Cheers

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

custom inspection when leaving denpasar? where is the checkpoint for this? as far as i remembered, arrived at the airport, i went through security checked and they confiscated my drinking water, checked in at the airlines counter, gave them my checked in luggage, paid the departure tax and security check again before boarding. so, where is this custom checkpoint?

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

It's normally a little portable table just before you join the queue to check in, if it's there at all. I've been stopped the last three times before joining the check in queue. I wouldn't say the inspection was thorough, just a matter of opening the bags and they had a brief root around.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Hi

Just left Denpasar this afternoon for Bangkok and I had the little table with the suitcase check just before check in. I think it may depend on which airline you are flying? I was flying Thai. They just chose 1 bag at random - I don't have a problem with that! The more checks the better as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Have had it happen flying with MAS and SIA too. I don't look that dodgy either, but similarly it was just one of the 2 bags that were checked.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

look like they dont bother to check those peasant flying budget airlines like me.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Just came thru Denpasar Airport...Got pulled up after xray and had my bags all opened and sifted thru!Even my cable ties were cut..grr...Turns out I had a box of business cards (5000) at the bottom of my case and I guess due to the shape etc they looked suss.Cant say it was a pleasant experience. PS...I was a Business Class Garuda passenger going onward to melbourne.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 15:37
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

Never been checked with either Air Asia or Singapore but there's always a next time.... ,)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

We always experience the final onboard check with the little table, and they are very thorough, but also very professional. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to be worried about. Probably don't carry your bed toys as hand luggage though.

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage inspection at airport customs?

THE only surch we ever get befor check in is by a security officer that wipes a machine hand held gadget that tells them if you are carrying drugs or explosives but never had to open the bags but as you go to board your flight you go through the scaner again with your carry on bags then app 15 ft away you are told to open your carry bag up so a security officer does a last check. i think that is a total waste off time as you have just came through the last scaner a fewfeet away and i think the security officers should be made to where gloves when they rumage through your bags who knows what they have on thete hands they may even have traces of explosives and then you get the blame iff it goes any further .we allways say to them where is your gloves and they say nothing its water of a ducks back most of them are so rude and there powers go to there head i bet the things they do take of people like shampoo perfume and grog that is over the l 00 ml that was in peoples carry on bags does not get destroyed /?????????? so dont give them the chance to take it dont carry any fluids in your carry on bag kobrob

Get answers to your questions about Kuta