We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone in Bali!

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travelling alone in Bali!

Hi just hoping for some advice. Never been traveling at all and just booked 4 weeks in Bali. Have no idea where to go. I'm 24 nearly 25 and female. Erm any advice on accommodation inc where? Do i book before hand or when i get there? etc would be greatly appreciated. Also where to actually go,what to see and any top tips. Please share any advice no matter how obvious or stupid as all will be greatly appreciated and used! (The only advice i've got so far it buy a lonely planet book and read before i go!) Cheers Y'all xxx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

Hi Shauna,

To make things easier for us what do you like doing and what sort of budget are you looking at?

Do you want to see most of the island, go snorkelling or diving, do the cultural thing, go hiking looking at spectacular secenery, see animals etc or just emerse yourself in the place. Do you want to just laze about by a pool for a month with someone bringing you cocktails or go night clubbing or, All of the above :).

A month trip is a great duration so your options are limitless.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

hey shauna,

what month are you looking at? june through to september are high season so accomodation can be tricky. personally i would book the first 3-4 days and then go from there, especially if you want to travel the island and other surroundings. first up i would stay in sanur, a lovely spot to start your holiday.

depending on your budget have a look at airbnb website they have reasonable priced rooms and there are many homestays within bali.

tips: keep up your fluid intake[ not just bintang beer :)] pocari sweat is a lemon salt drink and is good .

wash hands or use hand sanitzer where possible.

keep tissues in your bag for any unexpected pitstops[ie;toilet]

try and learn a few simple words of indonesian if you can.

there will be many others who can give good advice.

goodluck david :)

ps: would like to hear of your experiences as a bali newbie

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

All good advice as above.

Cheap meals at Bamboo Corner Restaurant in Poppies Lane 1 , also when having money changed try a good money changer not a one that sells goods i was nearly ripped of i walked away as he counted money quick and tried to short change me i use on at Pantani and Legian corner round about near Poppies Lane 1

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
330 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

you will have to book something to at least start out your holiday as you have to put it on your immigration card when you're entering the country. i agree with staying in sanur- beautiful place to stay and will be good to start off and get your bearings there.very easy to travel to different places from here

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

Thanks for the great advice. Few questions....

What is an immigration card?

Is Sanur a good place to meet people?

Where is Poppies Lane... Is that in Sanur?

Pinjarra, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

The immigration card you fill out on the plane or after you arrive to help with processing at immigration etc. Poppies Lane is in Kuta. And people at the bars and restaurants are usually friendly and approachable also around the hotel/ resorts pools and bars. Hope you have a lovely trip. Remember to keep your visa in with your passport too.

Liverpool, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

UrbanJungle1966 I am hoping to try most things so again advice on where to do these things would be good. i am on a budget and I'm also worried about being on my own so i imagine staying in hostels will be my best bet. x

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

A really good website for budget accommodation is http://www.hostelworld.com Going by yourself is not an issue in Bali. The people are great. A bit of common sense is needed of course but you will have little trouble and any that does happen will be part of the adventure.

If you can ride a motor bike (scooter) it will make your trip there much easier. When we arrive at a place we will hire bikes for our stay. Push bikes are also easy to hire if you are more comfortable with that. Getting between places you will need a car and driver, cost is around 45USD a day. We rarely do day trips as traffic is really bad and I can't see the point in spending a big part of my day getting back to where we started.. We generally do our day trips when travelling between places.

Getting lost in Bali is impossible. Hmm ok getting lost is easy but getting back to where you want to go is even easier. Just pull over and say what way to (place). All roads lead to China so, well I like it, head off in a direction and ask lots of people in how to get back. You see some great things and meet really nice people.

Take as much cash with you as you are comforatable with, card as backup. Food is very cheap. 4USD will get you an incredible meal. The small Waungs are the best value. Be advernturesome (is that a word?) with the places you eat at. We have eaten in some of the most dodgiest places and have found them to be some of the best meals we have every had. Alcohol is comparitively expensive but half the cost to what you pay at home.

Kuta is where all the action is. It has a huge amount of really good cheap eats, lots of night clubs etc. The beach in the afternoon is great. You can sit back and have a few Bintangs and will have no trouble finding people to chat with. Kuta also has all the cheap shopping. We normally get off the plane and head to Kuta few a few days just to get into the swing of things. If staying in Kuta try to get a place as close to Poppies Lane 1 as possible. That area and the surrounding streets is where the bulk of the good cheap restaurants are.

Ubud is your cultural place. Again lots of good cheap accomodation and places to stay. Great place as a base as there are a lot of Temples close by and some great push bike rides arounds. I reckon don't do a specific journey just to see rice paddies. There are thousand and I mean thousand of rice paddies in Bali. That part will just happen. There are also a lot of great places close by for hiking etc. A little bit North is Mt Batur. Try and do a trip to this place to see the sunrise from the top. Monkey forest is hilarious. Do not try to feed them. Watch the other people do it and laugh at them.

The east coast Candidasa, Amed, Tulamben is where a huge amount of the good snorkelling/diving places are. In most of that area you can just go off the beach and see beautiful fish and corals. Depending on when you go the east coast can get some really strong currrents. With anything just be sensilble. Find out when way the current is going, start at the beginning and let them just take you to the end. Don't fight them ever and wear flippers always just to make things easy. June July and August they are at there worst.

The north coast I have found is the driest. Lovina is a really good place to stay. The Dolphin watching is hilarious. They really screw around with the boats. They pop up hundreds of metres away and go hello, the armarda of boats race after them. As the boats get close they dive and then about 5 minutes later they pop up about a km away and go hello. The amarda races back the other way, they dive and repeat the process again. Then all of a sudden they will pop up in the middle of the boats and put of a show. Very amusing. You can almost hear them laughing. A day spent at Menjangang Island diving/snorkelling will be one of the most spectaucular days ever under water.

Our last trip we did a bih circle. Started in Kuta, went Ubud, Lovina, Tulamben, Candidasa, home. We tend to stay 4 days at each place. Use the trip between them to site see anything that interests us along the way and normally do 1 day trip at each place to see anything that was not covered on the way there. Reduce as much time as possible sitting in a car I reckon.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
301 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

Shauna,

I recommend starting in Sanur also. Just not as busy or pushy as Kuta, yet just as good restaurant quality, and I reckon shopping is even cheaper there. More realistic pricing, not tourist bashing.

You will need to be schooled up on the art of bartering, as it is the one area you will blow/save a lot of money.

Eat Indonesian food wherever possible. it is beautiful for a start, and the reason you're going there is to experience the difference and culture. A lot of there culture is in there food. I usually judge a restaurant or warung, by the price of their Gado Gado (steamed vege's with peanut sauce). It's their standard fare, so if it is not cheap, then neither is anything else. Info food is also substantially cheaper than western dishes.

Once you arrive, seek out a travel stall and book a bike tour. It includes a lot of information, good food, a very easy down hill roll/ride, and you get to see a good deal of the country side to get some bearings and show you the true-ish Bali. Bali Bike Baik is good, but so are most.

After Sanur, go across to Amed or Candi Dasa. Amed is better snorkeling. Candi dasa is close to the rafting finish points also. Just be mindful of currents, and we're taught in Oz, never to snorkel alone. Same goes for Bali. Seeing as though you have 4 weeks, go to Lovina also as recommended. It too, is quiet and sleepy, as most only squeeze in a day trip.

Come back down to Ubud where a week is very easy to fill. Ubud bungalows is my recommendation for price and location. Do a cooking class here. There are many offered, and all relatively the same thing and price. Hit the markets and stalls and barter hard for some paintings, wood carvings, bronze statues, whatever takes your eye, and reminds you of your time. Back to Sanur, where by now you'll be in the swing of things. Go swim with the dolphins he. It is so worth the money. Marine Safari Park to see the animals. Take your swimmers for a lunch time dip.

By now, you'll be ready to hit Kuta. We prefer Tuban, because it is a little quieter, cheaper, and very close to the airport when you're leaving. It also has the best seafood restaurant, right on the beach. Better than anything Jimbaran has to offer.

Keep reading up everything. Go everywhere. It is a relatively safe place, as long as common sense overrides holiday stupidity.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone in Bali!

Simply stated......One tip is that does not involve accomodation just day to dat activity is.......If it is your first time in Bali, make sure you get to know the currency as some of the notes look the same. ie., 100, 000 rupiah is the same colour as 10,000. I have been going to Bali for many years and still get it confused specifically in bad light.

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Kuta