We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

How much vitamin B12 do you take and what strength?

Australia
Level Contributor
863 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Some weak Vitamin B tablets need to be taken three times a day.

We bought the Natures Own Vitamin B1 100mg which we only took once a day. We still used spray (when we saw them) and the bites were SIGNIFICANTLY less.

Thanks for the reminder I had forgotten that we will need to start taking them 2 weeks before we go (as well as while you are there)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Vitamin B-12 is used to treat anemia, so if anything it will increase your attractiveness to mosquitos. The B myth stems from studies in the 50's that said that it made you smell bad to mosquitos. However there were further scientific studies done by University of Wisconsin in 2005 which showed that vitamin B, including B-12, had no effect on whether you would be bitten, or not.

Don't risk dengue based on this old wives tale, please. Cover up and use a good repellent.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 10:52
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

sorry to say but we are CONVERTED 100% to vitimin B .

We heard the myth before we went last time to Bali and thought "what the heck".

We started taking a multi B, as we could not remember which was the correct one about 2 weeks before we went .

We were invited to a party about a week before ( in Perth) and everyone was complaining about being eaten alive with mozies. This is when we turned to each other and realized we were the only ones not being bitten !!!!!

We then went to Bali and again NO problem.

We are going in October and March, guess what we'll be packing.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

You can be bitten by mosquitos and not have a reaction to it, no itch and no bump. It is why some people complaint about being bitten and others are not. Fact is you are still being bitten you are just not aware of it, and still at risk of dengue.

My concern comes from personal experience. My brother in law insisted for years that he is never bitten by mosquitos because he took vitamin B, however got dengue. Vitamin B didn't help him.

If you take vitamin B, please ALSO take proper precautions against mosquito bites. A good repellent works best. There are non-toxic repellents that are pretty effective if you don't like using DEET.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Hi

We are going in Sept..should we buy here, as a friend said to buy there as it is stronger repellent..when I get bitten I welt up big time...

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,553 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Hi Tanya - the DEET repellents in Bali aren't that strong, maybe 13% at the most, so if you want a stronger one then buy back home and bring with you. Do bear in mind that percent isn't actually about how repellent the properties are, but it's more about staying power; the higher the percentage, the longer you can go without having to reapply; a 30% DEET repellent should last around 5-6 hours without having to reapply.

I don't think there's anything wrong per se about taking Vitamin B12 or other health food supplements, but just don't rely on this as your only method of protection. Belt and braces, apply a good DEET repellent or a citronella one (the latter you need to reapply reasonably frequently) also. If you're a real mossie magnet, consider long sleeves and possibly trousers, and do you really need to have dinner at dusk on a table right next to that wet rice field.

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Oh crap forgot about mozzie repellant, better start stocking up now.

Might try the low Vitamin B dosage too.

Thanks for the reminder!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
592 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6399773.stm

Vitamin B as a repellant is a myth.

Eat healthy food. Stay away from vitamins.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Multi B for us too.Last year 5 of us went to Bali,Borneo and Thailand...no bites and hardly ever wore repellant but took the 90 DEET and everything with us because I am a mossie magnet!

Just got back from 8 weeks in vietnam,bali and Thailand...again NO bites.Girls coated themselves wit repellant on a 3 day trek and got bitten badly...I used Rid or nothing and NO bites.

We start about 6 weeks out with 2 a day(most days)...then keep taking it through the trip when we remember....LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
274 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vitamin B12 for mosquitos, how much?

Wow thats good ti know may I ask what brand you used?

I'm a mozzie magnet as well I'm only three weeks out today but might as well start