We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget and waist line tip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Budget and waist line tip

Hi guys and goodmorning from Gloria Jeans in Kuta, The skie is blue and it must be around 30c at 0900.

This may sound silly but I decided this year I would avoid the buffet breakfast as being an aussie male I tend to get very excited around the egg station and bacon area and by day 5 I am feeling a bit doughy.

So this time I purchased some cheap tupper wear and cutlery and enjoyed my cereal on the balcony with some juice frim the fridge.Nowere near as exciting as the full blown brekky but I am feeling a little better for it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget and waist line tip

Totally understand, the joy of the buffet wears a bit thin when you see the extra 5kgs on the scales when you get home.

I am also starting to travel with my own cereal and skim milk. Happy to have an amazing dinner with cocktails and forego the egg station to stay in shape. Hope you still get to enjoy some great Bali/Indo food.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget and waist line tip

Hi Deltasmelta and thankyou for your reply..Those 5kgs are fun to put on bud hard to get off..lol..I really love Indo food although as we speak I am at Dulang cafe in Kuta Square having grilled Salmon with a pesto side dressing and a lovely Greek salad..They also make this amazing avocado juice with a hint of Choclate..Here come those 5 kgs back on..lol

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget and waist line tip

Hi Deltasmelta and thankyou for your reply..Those 5kgs are fun to put on bud hard to get off..lol..I really love Indo food although as we speak I am at Dulang cafe in Kuta Square having grilled Salmon with a pesto side dressing and a lovely Greek salad..They also make this amazing avocado juice with a hint of Choclate..Here come those 5 kgs back on..lol..And a cocktail by the pool is a great option and a few of an evening.haha

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget and waist line tip

One of the reasons I don't stay at the Padma anymore, their breakfast buffet is too fantastic. Now I stay at the cheaper places, it's just eggs and fruit and a cup of tea for breakky.

While my weight doesn't go down at all when I stay in Bali, I now still resemble my passport photo when I go home!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget and waist line tip

It's a given for me that I'll tip the scales 5 kg heavier each trip. I work my butt of fr weeks before I go just to allow for this as its the nasi goreng, satays and cocktails that get me.

I also do a beach run evRey morning over there but that seems to have little effect apart from leaving me with a beet root face until lunchtime. No better way to start the morning though. I'm not one for sleeping in so it's a very peaceful time down there quite early.

Enjoy your time (and the indulgences....after all isn't that why we work so hard)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,580 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget and waist line tip

I know what you mean about the buffet breakfast but we discovered some years ago there are other traps with buffet breakfasts apart from the spare tyre getting some more air. We used to hoe into the brekky thinking how great it was and then set off on our days adventure. We wouldn't need lunch until about 2:30 but would then eat and we wouldn't want dinner until late, or we met people for dinner and didn't really want to eat. We realised we were missing opportunities to enjoy more meals in Bali. We now have a samllish brekky and look forward to lunch and then of course dinner. We have discovered some great meals at lunch time and often order a number of entrees and treat them like tapas. I know this has nothing to do with trying to keep the weight gain under control, but I've just re-lived some great meals. So thank you for that.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget and waist line tip

I'm with you there Peter! You can get to some wonderful restaurants for lunch that you would otherwise miss just due to lack of time.

Aww I love food! Haha!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget and waist line tip

Yes, I agree with all your comments and I finally came round to that way of thinking on my recent trip.

Good advice there LimitedEdition and glad you raised this topic!

Big breakkies such as that at Padma Hotel actually ruined my desire to eat (later on in the day) and explore warungs/restaurants on the two trips prior. This time round I stayed at a hotel which had a pitiful breakfast (thus I avoided it) and went for lighter options around Seminyak or even skipped breakky altogether. Then come lunch time it was off to the warungs for the most amazing Balinese food I've ever eaten. Still, I managed to stack on a couple of kilos in a single week. Doh! LOL. I did hit the gym a few times but the cardio equipment wasn't the best thus I wasn't able to burn as many calories to compensate for what I was eating. :|

Actually I discovered the 'express (light) breakfast' experience in Singapore last year, as that was all my 'express' hotel served. On that trip it dawned on me how much sense an 'express' breakfast actually made as there are so many hawkers centres to try and you really need the stomach space. :D

But back onto the waistline tip and breakky, you could always buy a small variety of fruit from your local shop/market, chop it up into bite size pieces and keep it in your bar fridge in a container/containers. A few small bottles of juice is good too. Plus the sugars in the fruit and juice will stimulate your appetite so that it should be ready for lunch. :) Anyway it's a much healthier and low caloric option.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget and waist line tip

Hi guys and thank you for your imput on the topic.I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief when I read I wasnt alone on the subject.Here I am suggesting a new approach to a given morning ritual , while admittedly I am looking for Free Wifi in Starbucks or GloriaJeans and as we all know generally involves a coffee and cake..lol..

At the moment I am at Discovery Mall and it is a pearler of a day.Starbucks is at capacity with asian tourists and everyone is trying to use Free Wifi.The Aussie dollar is hovering around 10300 .

Tomorrow morning I will pop in for breakfast at my hotel as I did pay for it and see If I actually eat more during the day or less.I think I have to much time on my hands this vacation.lol...takecare everyone

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget and waist line tip

I stay at budget hotels and people laugh at mne, but I tell you what I never gain weight with their sufficient breakfast of pancake,omlette and fruit.

The one time I stayed at a classy hotel with buffet brekkie, I did gain 5 kilos. No thanks LOL.

Get answers to your questions about Kuta