We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

The Denpusar Ngurah Rai Airport, which is also sometimes known as Bali International Airport is incredibly busy. Upon arrival expect a long wait in the immigration hall . There can be a thousand visitors at a time. It takes approximately an hour to get through. Make sure you have the cash to pay the arrival tax $25 US at the time of writing this. You can apparently skip the queue by paying 30000 Rupiah to one of the hawkers at the airport - don't worry they will find you. And I think I will go this way next time. The airport is new but this has not improved the service at all. It can be very confusing finding your luggage carousel so ask directions.

The resort area of Kuta is very close to the airport however, and once you clear customs you’ll be on the beach in practically no time. Numerous hotels provide direct shuttle bus service, and taxicabs and rental cars are also available. A taxi is approx. 70000 Rupiah to Kuta and a hire taxi can be between 150000 and 200000 rupiah

The airport is very modern and now has great facilities but be prepared for a long walk to the departure lounges. Once again the queues are horrendous - it can take almost 2 hours to reach your departure gate after standing in 4 separate queues. Airline - departure tax payment (which is 200000 rupiah) Security and then immigration - time seems to be of no consequence to the staff there and they are very relaxed and easy about the hordes waiting in front of them. At time there was only one person on.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

jmhjrr, it seems like you arrived at a busy time. sometimes you can be through very quickly.

We arrived last Monday eveing, and got off the plane at 10.10pm. We already had our visa (60 days) so went directly to immigration. Others from our flight were already at immigration even having had to buy VOA. We picked up bags, cleared customs, met our driver, and were checked in, and in our room at our hotel in Sanur by 11pm.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,963 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

How long you wait depends on how many planes arrive at similar times and how many staff they have to process arrivals. There can also be delays with luggage. Sometimes you can get through in very little time, you just never know.

We have a 'top question' about arriving at the airport / VOA's on the Bali forum home page as well.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

I did not have to wait and wait - our plane landed early and we were out of the airport by the time it should have landed.

I think you left a 0 of the cost of the VIP visa it costs 300,000 rp per person

As far as walking - you do as much walking at Bangkok or Singapore airport not more.3

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
660 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

I agree with veg-tony it is so much longer to walk at Singapore airport takes forever.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

And Rome airport is even worse. They even have signs up advising how many minutes it takes just to walk to different departure gates. It's ridiculous.We walked at normal pace, for 30 minutes solid just to reach our gate once we had gone though immigration etc.give me Bali airport anytime.

Fremantle, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Changi airport is huge and has travelators to help with any walking. To compare that with a small airport like Bali makes no sense.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
587 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Jazza R is right, Singapore is not just a destination but a major transit port as well.... Many people do loads of transit stops at Changi. Also, it represents Singapore, which is country.

Comparison with Bali does not make sense... Bali is mere a destination. But somehow the new airport is definitely a better representation that the old one and will manage the passengers better.

Kincumber, Australia
Level Contributor
739 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Yes veg-tony, Bangkok airport is quite a good workout for your legs. I was pretty shocked the first time I landed in the new airport compared to the old. I looked on enviously at those little golf carts the staff get around in. Compare to this, give me Bali any day.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Re singapore i was comparing walking nothing else.

thanks DeeDee - for the warning about Rome - headed there later this year

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
587 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Denpsar airport - be prepared to wait and wait and wait!

Yes Veg-tony.... Changi definitely requires lot of walking!! i agree, did not catch that point. :)

Get answers to your questions about Kuta
Recent Conversations