We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Hi everyone,

We are heading to Bali in January. Myself, hubby and four children 17, 14, 11 & 4.

It has been 18yrs since I have been to Bali, so I was more or less there to party last time.

So, we have found a really nice villa which I have read great reviews about and it is very reasonably priced. I want to put a deposit on it this weekend, but do you guys think that we will hate staying in Kuta? We love staying in Patong in Phuket ( for the ones who know), so would Kuta be similar to a Patong?

We all love to shop, and like things busy, but with the kids, and us being over the partying age now, are we going to regret staying there?

We probably won't be out past 10pm unless at a show or tour of some sort.

Any advice would b greatly appreciated, thank you:-)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Not at all. A lot of people prefer stay there as it is close to everything. The bad stigma surrounding Kuta is more related to after dark. I've stayed in both Patong (daughter was 13) and Kuta this year when she was 15 and she thought it was great.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Don't Worry!

You'll have a great time, Kuta is similar to Patong... Kuta is smaller and not half as much entertainment afterdark. Nothing like Bangla Rd.

We frequent both Phuket and Bali and I don't find them tobe the same, Bali is a lot more chilled out and family friendly.

Just do the same as you normally would on holidays...

Just watch your bags when walking the Streets and basic security.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Kuta is fine , it has shopping , restaurants and a great atmosphere all within walking distance of your hotel.This is why I stay in Kuta , for me its about location..

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Kuta is hectic, no doubt about that, but as you say, you like that aspect and once you step into the grounds of your villa you will probably find it is quiet, beautiful and peaceful.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

I've stayed in Kuta and Patong, and although quite different places, I find them both to be similar by the fact that they are both heavily tourist orientated and densely populated areas by the seaside, with plenty of shopping, bars, activity and nightlife.

Kuta has no doubt changed in the last 18 years since the time of your last visit (I found it even a little busier than Patong), but as you are already familiar with Patong, due to the similarities I think you'll be able to make up your own mind as to its current suitability for you.

If you are fine with Patong I think you'll also be fine with Kuta. If you think Patong is a bit much for the children, then I think you'll also find the same of Kuta.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
478 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

We stay in Kuta with our three kids and love it. We are early to rise so do not stay out late usually back in our bedrooms by 9pm. Kuta is family friendly if you do enjoy a busy atmosphere however I can't say what it's like late at night. Most places late at night become an adult only atmosphere. Have a great trip!

West Aust
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

I don't think you will regret it. We stay in patong and Kuta and like both. I like kuta's buzz :)

Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Kuta all the way!! Do it, you'll love it :)

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much. I am happy now. We are very thankful for all the advice. My kids thrive in Patong and im sure they will in Kuta. My 3yr old was only 18months when he saw his first ladyboy show and he was enthralled (not that I think he new what was happening:-). Different cultures are great for the kids aswell as us.

I am so excited now. Thanks again, and im loving reading everyones advice. :-)

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is staying in Kuta going to be a mistake??

I won't stay anywhere but kuta now, stayed twice in legian years ago, and don't like it, prefer to b in town close to matahari's, I don't think any villa's are right in town maybe down towards tuban end... I went to Phuket once, and never again... My personal opinion it's to in your face...bali is more relaxed.. Going back in November for my 26th trip and staying right in the city of kuta 2 min walk to kuta square