We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding Elephants in Bali

Which Nusa Dua hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
26 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Riding Elephants in Bali

Does anyone know where the best place to ride an elephant is and what the cost would be? We are staying in Nusa Dua. Also, I see that you can either sit in a chair atop the elephant or sit directly on their back. I'm thinking that if there is no chair, long pants would be needed and would be quite oppressive in the Bali heat and humidity. Also, is this humane or is it akin to the poor sad donkeys of Santorini? If so I would opt out.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Google Taro Elephant Safari.

I hear it is the best in Bali.

Lots of reviews on tripadvisor.

denpasar
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

For elephant ride at taro,

For elephantb ride and see the biggest zoo in bali in one place best at taman safari and marine park

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

At taro You sit in a chair and Tthe marine safari park you have no chair - they put a cover over his back so you are not actually on the elephant and you don't need long pants (I wore shorts) . At marine safari park you need to prebook the "elephant back safari" at Taro you can just turn up and pay.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Elephant hair is actually very rough - so if you ride an elephant bareback it is advisable to wear long pants. Although, if a cover is on the elephant's back then this wouldn't be necessary. The seats they put on the elephants are very uncomfortable for them (and you, so I'm told) and so I'd go for the bareback option. Elephants are amazing animals, I spent a day at a conservation park with them in Thailand and have been obsessed with them ever since (however, the reports of their treatment from the Bali parks have made me uncomfortable, so I wont be going to any elephant park in Bali for my own peace of mind).

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Take the no chair option its better for the elephant.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Try Bali Elephant Camp. It is not as commercialized. The animals are happy in a relaxed natural setting. We took the hour ride through the jungle and then through a local village.There was very thick padding between the elephants' back and the chair. Return transport, lunch and playing with the sunbear is included in the price. We went early morning when is wasnt as busy. There are many positive reviews on TA.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Hi, we're looking at this also. Do you need to pre-book?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

We booked from a kiosk while in Bali several days before.It is best to book soon after arriving in Bali so that you can get a choice of days. The kiosk price was better than their online price.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
552 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

We went yesterday AMAZIING we booked through the website. Cost $150 (AUD) with 15 discount that includes driver ride and wonderful lunch.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riding Elephants in Bali

Hi Dingodog, which park did you go to? Did the driver pick you up from your accommodation? What part of Bali are you staying in?

Get answers to your questions about Nusa Dua
Recent Conversations