We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snakes in Bali:

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Snakes in Bali:

This could be the most stupid question of all time.

I hate snakes - can't stand them.

Does Bali have snakes? Chances of them being in hotel grounds?

Thanks a lot!!!!

Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snakes in Bali:

i'm like you not a lover of snakes by any means. over the years i have not had any bad snake encounters with snakes in bali except for seeing a sea snake at the rock groin in sanur.

your chances of a snake encounter at hotel grounds is very very slim.

below is a link to an article i read whilst staying in bali last year in the bali advertiser. don't want to scare you off but thought it had some info on 'bali snakes' you could read.

relax and enjoy your holiday bali is a fantastic place to visit.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snakes in Bali:

Hi Snooky,

Wow!! Read your link, won't sleep a wink tonight now!

Ha ha, only joking. Didn't see a single snake last year, but it's better to be prepared if you're out & about in the rice fields or other areas with trees & vegetation so thanks for the link.

Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snakes in Bali:

Hi Snooky

Many thanks for that link - i have printed the article for future reference whilst in Bali. I have seen snakes 3 times in Bali but have no idea what kind they were - now I will know for sure. I particularly love the last kind of snake - one to be aware of for sure!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snakes in Bali:

We do get snakes in our garden occasionally as we live nearby the rice fields and our garden is quite lush and tropical, and also we don't fog / spray so we have a lot of geckos and frogs which the snakes like to eat!

The biggest problem we have with them is our silly Dachshund who has no fear and likes to chase them - last year she got spat at in the eye by a spitting cobra!

If we see one the gardener just catches it and takes it away - I am sure the same would happen at a hotel..

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snakes in Bali:

I once had to make a speedy exit from the surf at kuta beach after spotting a sea snake bobbing up and down in the waves!!!!!! Stuck to the sand for sunbaking after that and swim only in hotel pools!! Scared the life out of me!Jules.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snakes in Bali:

Sanur has a rock Groin?

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snakes in Bali:

omg lolllllllllllllllllll

Common trouser snake (Erectus board shortus) – locally known as “cowok”. This creature can be found in almost every habitat on the island and is not difficult to locate as it comes attached to the male species of the homo-sapien. Flaccid at rest it quickly becomes erect if provoked. This snakes poison works by “insemination” rather than “envenomation”. This species actively seeks out prey and is not usually shy on initial encounters but tends to retreat once it has inseminated it’s victim.

Not all victims will experience adverse reactions following an encounter with “erectus board shortus”. Signs however are insidious and can take weeks or months to appear. Initial symptoms would include nausea, vomiting and swelling, bloated abdomen (female victims only). While these encounters are rarely fatal, victims inseminated by infected creatures (HIV, Hepatitis C) may contract the disease. The fatality rate in these cases is high!!!

really good read then you get to that part.. classic !!

made me chuckle heheeee

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snakes in Bali:

The Irish sense of humour kicks in again. It would certainly make a person walk a tad different.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snakes in Bali:

last april we had two snake encounters (both true)

firstly, we were walking through an open paddock ith cows and palm trees when a snake approx 1m slide out of the leaves just where i was about to step. it slide off into the grass and was invisible.

the second one was when my daughters and i were out surfing at berewa (6 km north of legian). my oldest daughter complained that my leg rope was wrapped around her arm. no, it was on my leg attached to my board. a sea snake had wrapped around her arm. she pulled it off and threw it. it landed very close to myself and my younger daughter. the snakes head lifted high in the water and gazed from me to my daughter and back a number of times. we paddled slowly back and away from it and went into shore.

so yes there are snakes.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Snakes in Bali:

nasty nasty stories!!