We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Passport Card

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cash Passport Card

We are planning to use a Travelex Cash Passport Card when we come to Sanur. What is the availability of ATM's and stores where we will be able to use it? Should we consider other alternatives?

Woy Woy, Australia
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash Passport Card

Hi,

There have been a lot of postings recently in the forum of late about this issue.

I have included the link here so you can see what other TA members have had to say about this.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=7220&geo=294226&scope=2&q=Travelex+Cash+Passport+Card&s=D

I just had a read through the charges and fees associated with this card and it seems that you have to pay $3.75 per withdrawal if your card is in AUD or $2.25 per withdrawal if your card is in USD. Given that some ATMs only let you take IDR1,000,000 at a time, these fees can add up quite quickly.

Personally I'd rather take cash and exchange it while I'm there (you'll get a much better exchange rate doing it this way). I usually just leave my cash in the safety deposit box in my hotel room and exchange what I need on a daily basis and I've never had any problems in the past. Taking a few credit cards for larger purchases or for back up may be a good idea as well.

Cheers,

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash Passport Card

Hi Chum,

I was asking questions about this card a while back, and even someone I spoke to at a bank did not recommend to use this card because of all the fees.

A fellow trip advisor suggested the following (I have copied and pasted it):

"A good card to have when travelling is a NAB gold debit visa. There are no overseas atm fees and no currency conversion fees. There is a $10.00 monthly fee or zero fee if you deposit $5000.00 per month into the account. You can get it for the trip and then close it after. We have this card and used it for our last two trips and didn't pay a cent in fees. The exchange we got when withdrawing from atm's or paying for our accommodation and purchases in the department stores was the average rate on the street."

I have since gone and opened one of the accounts just for my trip to Bali (as this is not my bank that I use on an everday basis).

When it gets close to me going, next April, I will upgrade it to the gold card and use it in Bali, then on my return close the account. It might sound like alot of mucking around, but I think its worth it just for the Fee FREE transactions, etc.

Obviously the final decision is up to you.

hope this helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash Passport Card

Thanks for the reply, I'm almost certain we will take cash, along with a debit card as a backup. Regarding cash we are planning to take both US and Australian currency. Is this ok or should we just take one currency. If so which one, and in what denominations?

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash Passport Card

Waste of time changing money to $US. Australians are the largest group of foreign tourists to Bali and our money is changeable everywhere. Many hotels are quoted in $US for purposes of comparison etc. I;ve heard some like to you pay in $US but this is very much the exception. (Personally I wouldn't stay in a place that insisted I pay in another country's money- would I want to pay in Rupiah for a hotel in Oz?)

Large denominations as a rule are easy to change, but it can be worth having some small ones in case you just need a bit of rupiah at the end of your stay.

By the way, Aussie $2 coins can be used as a gift.. not only because they are worth half a day's wage, but because they can be hammered out to make gold looking jewellery.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash Passport Card

Me personally, we were going to take some USD and AUD, but at the moment the AUD when converted to Rupiah is worth a little more than USD. Thats not to say things wont change as the time goes on. But we have now decided its probably not worth it for us so just going to take AUD cash and a card as backup (with our own cash on the card).

Some of the Travel Advisor Experts may reply and help you out on this one too.

Not sure if any of my info helps, and I can totally relate to all the confusion that happens when deciding to take cash, we don't go till April 2011, but theres plenty to organise and think of between now and then :)

Gosford, Australia
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash Passport Card

I carried US$ and AU$ for our current trip to Bali, I used the US$ first here and getting around 8700 in our hotel and 8800 this morning at money changer, got 8650 in discovery mall yesterday, so shop around but watch out for those that might have dirty calculators and double check their sums and rupiah they give you. Some people we met at the hotel got stung with a dirty calculator / money changer and didn't pick it up until some time later.

Forget the cash passports they are a rip off to use.

I just kept my cash in my hotel room safe with no problems whatsoever.

I've been changing about 200 US a day.

But there's no issue getting aud changed anywhere although like the usd the exchange rate fluctuates with the money changers only in small armounts.

7. Re: Cash Passport Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2011, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations