We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers cheques being cashed

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Travellers cheques being cashed

Our preference when traveling is to use travellers cheques - old fashioned we know but we feel comfortable with this.. Just looking to see if someone knows whether Kodak Money Changers & other reputable cash exchange shops accept travellers cheques ? Last visit was much shorter and we took cash so a little unsure for this visit.

mudwash
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

they cash traveller cheques no problem. You do get a slighter lower exchange rate though

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,050 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

Yes, travellers cheques are easily exchanged in Kodak shops and money changers, although as mudwash mentions, you do get a slightly lower exchange rate. In Sanur, there's a Circle K just over the road from Hardys Department Store that offers money exchange, and a couple of doors away there's an authorised money changer.

Don't forget you need your passport to exchange travellers cheques, and you'll need to fill out a slip with your hotel details, passport number and signature.

Nothing wrong with being old fashioned; I usually have some travellers cheques with me too as a back up, should I have problems with my ATM card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

Thx for the replies - we have travelled the world and always stuck with the travellers cheques so will continue to do so. So looking forward to our Bali trip !

halesowen
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

jo,

What currency do you take your travellers cheques in, wondering if stirling are ok.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,050 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

Stirling travellers cheques are easily cashed in Bali at most money changers. You'd ordinarily get about 2.5p per pound less than the same amount exchanged in cash.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 16:21
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

Hi - last visit in April we took USD cash but was only a short visit. We will take AUD travellers cheques, AUD cash & small amount of local currency this time. If I was coming from UK, I would be comfortable taking GBP. Enjoy your Bali adventure !

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,483 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

Being a couple of old fossils, we used to take travellers cheques also but stopped doing so a couple of years ago as it's a nuisance to have to cart our passports with us each time we wanted to change some money. Then, had to take them back to the hotel for security as it's a very bad idea to walk around anywhere with them.

Met a man once at the check in desk at Bangkok airport who'd taken his passport to Chatachuk market with him - in his pocket, no less. Of course, he no longer had it and it turned into a huge problem for him to board his home flight. Don't know how he got on, but last we heard the authorities were ringing Canberra.

8. Re: Travellers cheques being cashed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Sanur