We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Topic
What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Hi All,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!!!

It is now 3weeks yesterday until we are off to Sanur to the Bali Hyatt for 8nights. Not that I am counting.

We are a couple in our 20's and this will be our first time to Sanur with our last trip a few years ago being to Tuban/South Kuta area.

I was hoping people could help me and give me guidance and answer my questions from recent experiences in one thread, as the more I try get info from all different ones I keep getting confused.

Ideally it would be great if people could recommend places to eat and also have a bintang or a few near by to the hyatt and how to get there? (when I went to Thailand the recommendations from people on TA were brilliant).

Are there any reputable money changers people have used nearby? (seems I keep reading more about bad ones than good ones these days).

Where do people recommend getting a massage nearby each day and how much?

Has anyone had any mens business shoes made in sanur? If so can you advise prices, time frame and quality?

Is there any maps or anything I could use to easily find the fixed price stalls in sanur? Are there shops named and easily seen? (seems a few people have been posting they couldn't find them).

Lastly is it much difference shopping in Sanur at the stalls and beach/night markets or should we make a trip back to south kuta, or up to ubud or sukawati and do it in one hit so we can relax more?

(and what is a bemo?)

Sorry for sooo many questions...guess I'm getting excited and want a good idea of what's nearby and recommended for when I see it.

Thank you all in advance for your replies and all your helpful threads on TA.

Cheers

Jason.

Adelaide S.A.
Level Contributor
933 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

The Hyatt is in a great location don't worry. Just head out of the hotel along the beach or the main road and there will be restaurant after restaurant, shops, massage shops, grocery stores and laundrys. A bemo is a small van used as a taxi but if you use these you will need to negotiate the price first. Some-one with more recent experience will have a better idea of current price than I. Massage shops will have their prices listed outside their shops so you can compare. Sanur is a quieter area but I also stayed there when I was in my 20's (a long time ago) and liked it then but like it even more now. The Hyatt is a lovely property with amazing service. Enjoy!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
303 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Like weary said, there are so many restaurants. Half the fun is choosing where to eat. We always try to eat at a different place every day, unless it is just superb, or nice and cheap.

A Bemo is a little beaten up green van you see in Sanur only. They pre-date the taxis as a mode of transport and are used predominantly with locals as they cost very little. Due to congestion issues, they were banned in Kuta and surrounds many many years ago. As Sanur is pretty easy flowing traffic usually, I'm inclined to use a Blue bird Taxi (& only bluebirds) for their AirCon bebefits mainly, but if convenient, grab a Bemo. I usually offer about 1/2 the Blue bird fare. This may sound stingy, but the vans are old, uncomfortable, hot and dirty. Why should they get the same. I've seen a local get on before me and get off the same time. I paid Rp10000, she paid Rp200. So you certainly won't be ripping them off. If they disagree, just get a Bluebird.

With massages, I tend also to look for the Air Con salons, which are more expensive, but very cheap in comparison to Australia. I just don't like being holed up in some sweat-box for an hour, while trying to get a relaxing massage. You may score a good lady down the beach, you may not. Luck of the draw there. An ave massage should be around the $5-6/hr mark. Maybe up to $9/hr in the air con.

The market stalls are the same everywhere and will sell the same fare as Kuta and pretty much anywhere else. It's just dependent on your reolve and your bartering skills. Tootsie's is easy to find at the Sindhu Markets on the Northern end of the beach. Go there first and see what prices they are offering and then use that as your ceiling elsewhere. Don't go above it, but also don't start at it either. Can't help you with your shoes. All Balinese shoes on offer tend to be v small.

Price wise for eating, I don't sit at a restaurant that charges more the 15k for a small Bintang and 30k for Gado Gado. That's just me. I don't eat at fancy, expensive restaurants in Bali. I don't see the point.

perth wa
Level Contributor
246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Turn right on beach path from Hyatt and a few minutes walk is Kamilfo Cafe, keep walking 100m and there is Bamboo Cafe-good for lunch or dinner. Opposite Kamilfo is a small salon that does massages/nails etc at cheap prices. Just before Kamilfo, there are ladies in in a set back pavillion that will also give you cheap massages. I love these as you can listen to the waves and the ladies chatting-very relaxing-about $5 a massage. Just take your own towel to pop on their massage tables.

Turn left at front entrance of Hyatt and on the same side of road is Charming Restaurant-excellent. On the other side is Massimo's, Apa Kabar and a few others -all good places to eat. We use the laundry to the left of front entrance and turn left at first street. It is about 100m down this little street.

Tootsies is about a 20 min- half hour walk to the left of Hyatt on beach path. It is down a little 'mall' of shops behind Tootsies Restaurant. You can hire bikes at the Hyatt or outside Kamilfo and ride there -excellent activity.

Enjoy yourself -we love the Hyatt and have stayed there twice

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Thanks for your replies. I will make note of these places and hopefully get to eat at a lot of them. Can you confirm tootsies restaurant is easy to find on the beach path to then find her shop? And is it before or after where I have read about the women who will try and take u to there shops at the beach markets if walking from the hyatt?

Thanks to everyone on TA for there wealth of knowledge. Only 2weeks tomorrow until we are off.

Cheers

Jason.

perth wa
Level Contributor
246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Tootsies is easy to find- black and white checked table cloths. If in doubt-ask someone. The girls behind Tootsies will try to get you into their shops. They have to make a living too. i don't know why they don't all go fixed price. Tootsies is a few shops down and has glass windows and is air conditioned. There is a shop opposite that is also fixed price with beautiful table runners.

Have a great holiday:)

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

If your going to Tootsie then just before her cafe you will see the Luhtu’s Coffee and behind it is the Ayu Spa Jl. Pantai Sindu No 17 Tel: 361 286 099. Do yourself a favour and try this spa out it is in pristine condition, so very clean that the showers, spa tubs and toilets sparkle and gleam. Each room has a shower and tub and some rooms are doubles and I believe the upstairs room can accommodate 3 to 4 clients at once – good for a group of friends. Prices are very good so I had the massage 80,000rp; Foot Massage 80,000rp; Facial 70 – 80,000rp (I had the Latulip which was 80,000rp) it included steaming and brow tidy; Massage and Scrub 160,000rp – this was the best treatment of the trip; Hair Spa 80,000rp.

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
340 posts
383 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

from the front of the Hyatt along the main road are many restaurants and shops we mainly eat at the Swastika restaurant the food is lovely and drinks don't taste watered down

Hardies a large department store is on the main road it is a 2 storey shop full of souvenirs and is an interesting place to spend some time in

There is also a night market held in Sanur we were not impressed by it mainly food but I have heard others liked it

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

Hi

When you exit the Hyatt on the beach side and turn to the left, once you get out of the Hyatt boundry you will get a few women talk to you to try to get you into their shops. Just say a polite no thanks and keep walking, or if you are chicken walk along the waters edge ( I did this a few times much as I felt bad saying no).

When you exit the Hyatt on the road side if you turn to the right and walk for about 5-10 mins or so on the other side of the road is Hardys. Just past that on the same side as the Hyatt is a couple of money changers. One is in a stand alone building usually with a security guard outside, I always used this one. Great rate and never any problems. Can't remember what it is called, but hopefully someone else will know?? Once they count out the money they don't touch it again. Next door to it is another that is in what is a type of 7/11 store. That one has a good reputation also although I didn't use this one.

Huge choice of places to eat and drink around the Hyatt, just walk in any direction and you will find somewhere great.

Enjoy.

9. Re: What is recommended in Sanur from the Bali Hyatt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Sanur
Recent Conversations