We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts for Balinese men

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts for Balinese men

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what are good gifts to buy Balinese men ? I've read a lot of ideas on TA for presents for women and children but not men. I'd like to get something more useful and less pollution causing than another crappy plastic keyring or something like that. Any ideas ?

Edited: 17 August 2012, 15:41
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

Soccer t-shirts....

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

I have taken over flano shirts- they all feel the cold. I once bought 100 at Coles for $1 and gave them to farmers and fisherman.

I have given those silver sun shades for the windscreen

I have given sprits - JB and JD were popular

I have given many sets of dominos

Everything has been graciously received.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

We bought our driver a lovely leather wallet with a kangaroo on it.(it cost me all of 5.00 from a shop called pots avenue) which are in most major shopping centres and sell heaps of Aussie souviners.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
771 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

What wonderful ideas. I always leave behind any unused toiletries for the cleaners, buy the driver water, packet of ciggies and at the end of the day a large bintang. But im now looking at coles online to see if i can get some flannies as next month we are staying in c.d and as previously mentioned, they feel the cold  and im sure at some stage c.d with the wind they would get cold there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

Great ideas guys. Thanks. I shall go on a flanny hunt. Might be able to get some cheapies at this time of the year.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

I've given bottles of West Australian Port. The guys I've given it to seem to appreciate it greatly. They tell me they drink it with their friends.

Bit like beers with the mates I guess.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

What about a windscreen sunshield if he's a driver - I never see these used in Bali and they make such a difference to the temperature inside the car.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

Windscreen sunshields are available here...I made the mistake of bringing over a few and felt really stupid when I found they are about rp 20,000 in stores.

BTW, I think good gifts that you can buy either here or in Bali would be:

sunglasses (lots of people don't wear them but once they try it they love it)

Music cd's that you make yourself or buy

Re-useable strong plastic water bottle, possibly insulated

Also, I don't like to give people used clothing, (except in trades with girlfriends) To me it sends a message that I don't agree with..if you know the person well enough to give a gift they would appreciate NEW clothing. I buy new clothing within my budget but good quality...

Just thots off the top of my head

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,319 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

We've given sunglasses, t-shirts and baseball caps with an aussie theme to friends in Bali. It's really hard to know what they've appreciated the most as they are always so gracious and thankful.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts for Balinese men

Well I have also taken Flanelette shirts for them and at this time of year they are about $4 in Woolworths clearing.

I have also taken cadburys chocolate family blocks (they love our chocolate) and also packets of Anzac biscuits. (a real aussie gift), they all seem to have sweet tooths.

I do take clothing that is secondhand as they have requested it and I only take stuff that is in excellant condition.

But if you are buying souvenir t shirts or flanny shirts for them new (yes they do need clothes) then just make sure you buy bigger, would be awful giving something that didn't fit.

I think something practical or something luxurious that they could never afford to buy themselves (such as the chocolate) as a treat and they can share the family block or packet of biscuits with their families if they wanted to.

At Christmas, I have also taken them fruitcakes. But I think you can buy them all through the year (I make mine).

Get answers to your questions about Sanur