We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

book Hyatt or not?

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
book Hyatt or not?

We are a group planning a late May to early June 2013 trip to Sanur and planning to stay at the Hyatt which is our preferred accommodation, however I've read about possible renovations commencing mid 2013.

I'm thinking we book at the Hyatt and if it closes down due to renovations during our stay then we seek accommodation elsewhere in Sanur.

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this one?

THX in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: book Hyatt or not?

We almost didn't book it this June due to the online chatter about renovations, but got in touch with the concierge and they assured us our booking would be okay. I will do the same for next June before I book and if they say it will be okay then I'll book it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Legian
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: book Hyatt or not?

I would book direct with the hotel that way they can keep you updated.

I did hear if you book the Hyatt at Sanur and it is closed before your departure they will move you across to the Grand Hyatt at Nusa Dua.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: book Hyatt or not?

Go ahead and book. Until there are 'firm' dates for renos it is business as usual. This is a large reno they are doing and it will take some time to co-ordinate, plans, builders, equipment, materials etc. There are meetings going on regarding all of this. Rumours had the hyatt closing this year and people missed out on staying there because they were worried their dates would clash.

IF you book and renos are about to happen they are apparently honouring bookings at the grand hyatt and IF this is not suitable you can always book elsewhere in Sanur.

perth wa
Level Contributor
246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: book Hyatt or not?

I spoke to the General Manager last week. He did mention June as being the closure month but this is still up in the air as all the share holders have to agree. The public areas will stay the same with some beautifying, however, the three accommodation blocks will have a major renovation. They will still maintain the Balinese feel with the bathromms changing completely.

The many repeat guests do not want anything to change. The bathrooms do need a facelift but this would never stop me from staying there.....it is just such a wonderful place with excellent service with and that "old world' feel.

I would go ahead and book through the hotel. Nothing is definate yet. W want to stay next October and will probably book again and just see what happens. Might have a back up plan in place though:)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,912 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: book Hyatt or not?

Yes renos are major. Even the electrical wiring is being re done.

Perth
Level Contributor
111 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: book Hyatt or not?

Why would you not book anyway? No deposit is required. Just have a back up plan in case the renovations do start on time. I have booked the Hyatt for July with fingers crossed, but have also booked Nusa Dua Beach Hotel just in case.

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: book Hyatt or not?

I was told by management they will be closed for renovations from mid 2013 but no set date yet.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
703 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: book Hyatt or not?

There is a big difference between the Sanur and Nusa Dua locations. I myself would not want to set foot in Nusa Dua.

I'm booked for end of June so sorry to hear about this. Looks like it's time to find a back-up plan.

mup
Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: book Hyatt or not?

I must admit to cancelling our mid-June trip to the Hyatt for 2 reasons. First of course the chat about the reno's and the fact that although they might honour the booking - we could be re-located to Hyatt at Nusa which I didn't want to do.If the reno's were to take place Mid June we might not be told until last minute or given options. This could lead us to having to try and find somewhere else and I know June/July is a very busy time.

Second reason that although chat said they had stayed and it was lovely there were also remarks about a lot of the rooms etc being tired and in need of an upgrade. This being so it was in my mind that perhaps the Chain of Hotels would not spend much money on general maintenance over the next several months if they are going to be closing for major reno's We decided to err on the side of caution hand have booked elsewhere

Edited: 25 October 2012, 01:29
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
703 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: book Hyatt or not?

I just got an email from the hotel also saying mid-2013 closure. I know this is Bali and things don't run on schedule, but this is a HYATT, not some mom+pop place. Come on! Get your ___ together and give us a date.

mup, you are exactly right. I'm about to renovate my kitchen in a couple months -- Yesterday a drawer front fell off and I just tossed it in the garbage instead of nailing it back on. Why bother, right?

That place will be falling apart by the time "mid-2013" rolls around.