We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

gold coast australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

On the first day of our holiday we ordered a taxi to take us into the village for dinner. We were quoted a minimum charge of 25,000 rupiah, ok as this is a Govt regulation for pick up and deliver. On the return the same was asked even though we hailed the taxi on the road. I looked at the meter and asked that he use his meter, 6700 rupiah was the fare on the meter. I paid the driver that amount with tip. This was happening on a regular basis while we were in Sanur, a rip off by the drivers. In Aus terms not a lot of money but each year that people over pay this will not help the standard of living in Bali. All taxis hailed from the street must start their meters when you are in the taxi, occassionly they will put the meter on 6000 rupiah and not switch it on, then ask 25000 rupiah be warned.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Tony, if you booked a Bluebird Taxi, I understand that their minimum fare is in fact 25,000, rather like the phone booking fee we pay here in aussie. As for other drivers not putting on the meter, there have been many threads on here about that, and most of us agree - just get out of the taxi and use another one that will put a meter on. Sooner or later, drivers will start to get the message.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Just demand that they put the meter on and don't give them any wiggle room.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

come on people don't be so tight .omg.in sanur most places take 5 minutes max.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

If you book the taxi there is a minimum charge, if the standard flagfall, plus the time/distance metered charge is below that, then the minimum charge (Rp25,000) applies. If the displayed metered amount is above that minimum charge then (only) the amount on the meter applies, plus a standard waiting time charge per hour if applicable, plus any tolls and any parking fees that might arise.

If you hail the taxi then it is just the standard flagfall, plus the time/distance metered charge. In addition a standard waiting time charge per hour if applicable, plus any tolls and any parking fees that might arise.

Some taxis may display a minimum charge requirement, Rp10,000 is the most common for that.

Just bear in mind that there is no 'formal' minimum charge, the metered amount is the prevailing cost, other than when the taxi is radio despatched as an outcome of a phone booking.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
95 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

I had family recently stay in Sanur and used taxi's with them.They are worse than ever at the moment.Please use the advise from the above posters.It may only seem like a few dollars but I know first time visitors getting ripped off for 400'000 from the airport to Sanur.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

I would hate to see you people get cabs in Australia if you are worried about sanur prices come on.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Just recently spent a month in Bali, including 2 weeks in Sanur, staying in a villa across the Bypass Road. As a result, we used taxis daily. When booking, we used Bluebird and tried to use them when we could. However, there were many occasions when we used non-Bluebird taxis, asked them to use the meter, and every one did so - no problem. Most fares between Tamblingan and our villa were 16,000Rp to 21,000Rp depending on traffic. Each time I just gave them 25,000Rp (A$2.50), no questions asked. No problems. I just kept lots of 25,000Rp in my wallet ready for the taxis. Easy. I think on one occasion, for a short trip, I paid the meter amount plus a decent tip. Some may say that by paying 25,000Rp even when the meter amount was less could be contributing to an expectation by drivers that everyone should pay that. I didn't care. I am better off than the taxi drivers. Our taxi fares for the two weeks in Sanur were just a little more than one taxi trip from our home in Southern Adelaide to the airport.

By the way, even when the fare was over 25,000Rp, I would give them at least 10% more, depending on what I had in the wallet at the time.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Colin165, most of us are more than happy to tip our taxi driver when good and honest service is given. What we don't like, is blatent dishonesty, such as demanding inflated prices from tourists. And if we all just put up with it, things will only get worse.

Taxi prices in Bali are what they are. Many things in Bali are substantially cheaper than they are in Australia. I'm assuming you don't insist that your hotel in Bali charge you twice, or threee times their advertised room rate, because you would have paid a higher price in Australia?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Colin this is a problem in Bali, not just Sanur and we are not talking about a few isolated incidents. This is a dishonest practice, not only are taxi drivers demanding more money, some also have 'rigged' meters. People have every right to complain. In Australia you pay the price on the meter but you certainly won't get in a taxi and pay what is demanded, why should anyone do this in Bali???

There was a recent post about taxi drivers overcharging as well.

No one should ever give in to dishonest drivers as the situation will get worse. There are plenty of honest drivers to choose from.

There is a problem in Bali with the prices charged. It is dishonest and it is not an issue of 'don't worry, it's only a couple of dollars'. Everyone happily pays the correct price and most people leave a tip BUT the taxi drivers are paid to do a job, they represent a company and not only are they ripping tourists off but they are also ripping off the company they work for.

All these 'extra' couple of dollars they make from each tourist adds up throughout the day.

No one goes on holidays to be ripped off by dishonesty whether it is a taxi driver, dodgy money changer or even a hawker demanding ridiculous prices for goods and services.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi Fares Sanur Bali

Colin I would like to see your reaction if a taxi driver tried this extortion on you in Adelaide. Why is dishonesty in Bali overlooked and laughed about but not here in Australia. Honesty is honesty and where you are in the world does not change that fact.