We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

We leave on Monday morning with our three little ones ages 5, 5 & 6. We are staying in Sanur for two weeks at Puri Santrian.

I dont want to overpack and have to wrangle bags on the way over, but I also am not going over to shop everyday for things we may "need".

I have one son who is anaphylactic to peanut so am taking a fair amount of snack food and weetbix that I know is "safe" for him/them to eat. I also have a very extensive medical kit. I am also taking a floating device for each 5yo for the pool and was also thinking about taking their towels for the beach/pool/grass etc. This almost fills a med size case.

I am hoping that 2 x shorts, 2 x shirts, 2 x t-shirts, swimmers, thongs and sandals each will be enough for the boys and for my girl 3 x dresses, 2 x shorts and 3 x tshirts, thongs, swimmers and sandals will do? I also have reef shoes for each of them in case they want to walk out in low tide over the coral, PJ's, hats, toiletries (minimal, just toothbrushes, paste, hairbrush & bath wash).

I am also taking their travel Booster seats for the days we have a driver.

Any experienced travelling parents care to offer an opinion? Enough, not enough? Forgot anything obvious/important?

Many thanks.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

Hi SECmum,

Could you send me a link to the type of car seats you're talking about?

The ones that are new on the market? I'm v interested in taking a look at them and I am headed to Australia for a short trip in Dec... and if they are OK(weight wise, size, etc), I might buy one for my son(4 years old) as we travel quite a bit.

I had to sacrifce taking his harnessed seat and just took a booster seat on our last trip. It cost us 3 times more the price of a brand new one (almost the price of our air ticket) to rent one because we were away for a long trip. Plus the weight we well.

BTW, when you get your driver, ask if he has seatbelts at the back for the seats.

I'm not headed to Melbourne though, but WA. Thanks in advance.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 04:14
Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,895 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

------------------

"I am not trying to be provocative or apear higher than thou at all, but I really have trouble understanding why people are so against protecting their children in case of a car accident?"

----------------

Re reading replies I cannot see how anyone has implied the above that they are "against protecting their children"

You asked

"I am also taking their travel Booster seats for the days we have a driver.

Any experienced travelling parents care to offer an opinion?"

The majority of replies have come from people who have travelled to bali numerous times with their children and who don't take car seats / booster seats with them. It is not only because of the extra luggage but it is mainly because there are no seat belts / anchor points (for restraints needing them).

Replies have also suggested that there are drivers we can give you contact details for who have car seats to use. I for one have donated seats to a trusted driver with seat belts and he shares the car seats with his team of drivers so they have more than one to use for people who need them.

I never take my children's safety for granted, I have 5 children and have travelled extensively with them over the years.

I am not sure why you re posted my 2010 reply about accidents in bali, never once did I imply there was no risk of any. Bali has lots of accidents, I have witnessed many, mostly scooter related.

you say...

"I would suggest that as the roads are very different to here in Australia, car seats are of even more importance on trechourous roads in Bali???? Sure the main drags in town are only going at a slow pace, but out in the hills etc?"

I am more concerned about accidents whilst hiring a taxi / car for short distances as this is when most accidents happen.... ie the busy built up areas and this is where you say you won't be using your booster seats. In bali most accidents are in built up areas where as in Australia they are on the highways where speed is a major contributor.

" I do not intend on using them for local tax rides"

I suggested that you take your booster seats "Enjoy your holiday, take your booster seats if it makes you feel more comfortable to do so".

Be careful with the short taxi trips, not only do more accidents happen on these short trips at low speeds but most cars only seat 4ppl + driver, there are 5 of you. IF a taxi has seat belts they are often in the front only OR the front + two in the back seat not 3 in the back.

No-one is saying don't take them, we are only giving our opinion (which you asked for), after years of experience travelling with kids and by no means implying we are not concerned about our children's safety.

Enjoy your holiday, Sanur is a great area to base yourself. Your kids will love it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

Thanks for everyones opinions and advice. I do appreciate them.

I'd like to make it very clear that it was never my intention to offend anyone...Seems I may have though?

I guess that can be the interpretation of the wriiten word and the impossibilty of intonation when writing.

Lets consider the "Great Booster Seat Debate of 2013" officially over!

Happy travels to all!

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

Jade_du these are the ones I'm sure SECmum is talking about

infasecure.com.au/category/…

Kmart, big w and most baby shops would carry them in stock. I have one as my spare seat and I'm in WA. They done need to be tethered in and would be easy to travel with. I would try to to find a travel bag though. They really fold up to nothing.

25. Re: Kids "stuff". Pack or buy there? Leaving Monday...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 04:18