We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Bali.

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Bali.

Hello everyone. My husband & I will be traveling to Bali for the 1st time to Bali. I still haven't decided on where to stay. Our options are Griya Santillan or Tropical Bali Hotel. Another concern is our flight back is midnight & I understand that check out time is usually 2pm & wouldn't know where & what to do after we checked out. Does anyone have a suggestion about this two concerns. Thank you very much in advance.

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
261 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Bali.

You may take sunset tour , or other sight seeing around the city . Bring your luggage along with you , for the itinirary suggestion you can ask your driver to suggest or arrange your day . But make sure dont go to far out from the city due to unpredictable traffic .

Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Thank you very much blimade for your reply. Will do this.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,216 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Hi croft and welcome to the Bali forum, and personally I'd opt for the Griya simply for the beach front and central location rather than having to potentially rely on taxis.

You have a few options about your flight/check out. Many hotels will give you a late check out at 6pm (usual cost half a day rack rate) if you ask. Then leave your luggage at reception, for for a leisurely dinner, then head for the airport.

Or you could book yourself a cheap-ish hotel near the airport in Tuban/Kuta, have a day there, then back, shower, change, pack then go.

Or head for the tour option as suggested, although after a long hot day of touring, which can be tiring, you may want a shower/freshen up and you may not be able to do this unless your hotel can provide you with the facilities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
446 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Hi Croft.

Agree with Happynoodleboy about booking a cheap hotel near the airport.

Or you can book the extra night at the Griya or Tropical, whichever you book to allow you to not have to check out at 2pm or 6pm :)

My husband always books an extra night at the hotel or resort we stay at particularly if we have a late flight :)

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,400 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Bali.

This is your first time in Bali so the Griya Santrian would be the better option of the two you mention. (please make sure you have the name correct or you could end up anywhere)

The Griya Santrian is only an 18 minute drive from the airport. I own a villa in the driveway to the Griya Santrian so I can assure you that number is not just a wild guess.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
658 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Bali.

We always book an extra night at our hotel, that way you have somewhere to go and freshen up before heading to the airport, as no doubt there will be delays at the airport :/ and it is usually a loooooong night home. Last day we usually have a chill day around the hotel pool and dinner close by.

Depending on where you are flying that is??? We fly into Sydney, so early morning arrival in Sydney, so you don't want to be buggered even before you begin the trip home :)

Some hotels do offer the half day rate for your last day, but I don't bother, the hotels are usually pretty cheap by Australian standards so we just pay the extra night (kind of like a tip lol)

Enjoy Bali, it is a fantastic place to travel to.

Edited: 22 February 2014, 23:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Hello Croft08,

I agree with Happynoodleboy, stay at Griya Santrian. The location is perfect, especially since it's your first time. Some hotels do offer late check out at half the daily rate. You can email them in advance, or you can organize this when you get there.

Enjoy your holiday to Bali!!!

Tustin, California
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Hi I will be taking my first trip to Bali in May 2014. Would love suggestions on where to stay, what to see and what to do. I have been on a journey in my life lately, lots of personal transformation. Bali has been calling me for a while and the spiritual journey I have been on lately, the call is getting louder. I have never traveled to another country before, but know that there is a higher reason for me to travel to Bali from America. I plan to stay at Orchid Villa in Payangan for a spiritual retreat there, I have no plans after that. Id like to continue on a spiritual journey and immerse myself into the culture. Shopping for clothing is first on my agenda as I will be bringing very little with me as I want to dress as the women do in Bali. Id like to spend time in Ubud and Sanur as well.Any other places that I should see? Id like to have some healing sessions with local healers, get massages, visit temples, villages and orphanages. Id love to see elephants and dolphins too. I am a woman traveling alone for first time to another country so safety is my first priority. Id like to stay a minimum of two weeks but would love to extend 3 or 4 weeks if I can make it affordable. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Many blessings to you all.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Bali.

I think uluwatu and kecak dinner is good for you.can start from hotel around 16.00pm direct to uluwatu tample and see kecak fire dance start 18.00 - 19.00 with beatiful sunset.and then continue to jimbaran bay for dinner seafood.you can relax waiting your fligt because only 15 mnt to airport.

Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Bali.

Thank you very much for all your reply & I really feel welcome in this forum. Now I am getting really excited to go to Bali. Then Griya indeed ;). I will have to ask them for a 6pm check out. Thanks again for taking time to reply for my concerns, the tips, information & reminders. Truly grateful.

Get answers to your questions about Sanur