We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Brisbane QLD...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Hi all, my hubby and I have been to Bali many times, we have always stayed in Seminyak Legian Kuta and Ubud ( although we keep saying we must try Sanur ) So I thought I would ask you TA's

Our friends have asked for suggestions on a quieter area of Bali not Legian etc 2 of my suggestions to them was Sanur and Ubud but where to stay/see in Sanur I'm not sure of as we have only taken a few day trips there a few years ago now, they are taking their elderly parents so I think they will be wanting something that is close to everything if possible, shopping markets cafes restaurants etc, I would also like to suggest Hotels and Villas Budget around $150pn or less as long as it's clean and has a pool. Hope I'm not asking to much, I just want them to go and really enjoy Bali as much as we do.

Thank you all

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Without knowing what your friends would like to do in Bali, it's hard for us to make any recommendations. I suggest they make a list of the things they want to see and do, and then plan where to stay.

Brisbane QLD...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Hi cbimages, thanks for your reply. Being there first time to Bali they are happy to see anything, they are interested in Bali Culture so I have given them a list of things to do while they are staying in Ubud 4 nights ( just thought save them the longer drive from Sanur) they also wanted to do the normal touristy things. It's mainly recommendations where to stay in Sanur $ 150pn that is close to everything Markets Restaurants Cafes Shopping etc, one of her parents has a walking stick so can't walk long distances, I also told them taxi's are dirt cheap anyway if they wanted to go further, if you can suggest anything to do in Sanur that would be great also. Thank you again

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Thanks capricorn-libra. As you've had a few day trips to Sanur, I guess you know that it is very spread out, so nowhere is going to be close to everything. By markets, do you mean Sindhu Beach Markets? Or the Traditional Markets? (although both are quite near each other), and for shopping - shops are spread all over. As are cafes & restaurants. Also, not sure what you mean by "normal touristy things" - I'm guessing sitting on the beach and eating beachside? Some shopping and some eating? If the parents just want to do that, Sanur will be fine. One of the beachfront hotels would be best, to save them walking if they plan on sitting on the beach/eating on the beach. You'll get lots of recommendations if you ask specifically. We stay at the Respati, for location and price. Plus, we prefer smaller hotels, it has 45 rooms.

As a couple who would no doubt be labelled with the "elderly" tag, (73 & 62), we find just a couple of days in Sanur to be enough. That said, we don't go to Bali for the beaches (we have far better ones near where we live), and find sitting and stuffing ourselves with food and drinks three times each day to be not to our liking. A couple of hours shopping, and we're done.

We both much prefer our time in Ubud. There is so much to see and do in the area. We drive a rental car, but it is so easy just to grab a car and driver for trips, even a couple of hours at a time, rather than a marathon day trip. Something to think about, is, as we get older, being out all day can be way too much. We stay 8-14 nights in Ubud, twice a year and don't get bored. We once stayed in Sanur for 5 nights (4 days) and were ready to leave by the third day.

Brisbane QLD...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Thanks again cbimages for your reply, sorry didn't answer earlier busy with work. Ok elderly being 71 and 76 We have not been to Sanur for a few years although we do remember it being spread out :) the touristy things they have mentioned they would like to see are the Rice Fields Volcano Ubud culture etc and yes they also want to relax on some days in the hotel grounds or by the beach and not be hassled . I was thinking of suggesting Puri Santrian or Besakih Hotel, I'm trying to get my friend to get on TA and ask questions herself that way she will get answers to all her questions. The main thing is they are staying somewhere close to Restaurants/Cafes.

Thanks again

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

capricorn-libra, as it seems that your friends parents want to do/see a lot of things closer to Ubud, they certainly should spend as much time there as possible. For their time in Sanur, perhaps add the Respati to the mix of hotels, it is about 100 metres north of the Besakih, so closer to the beach markets & some good beach restaurants such as Sands, Luhtus etc. + there is an excellent money changer right across the road. They could get one of the SeaView Deluxe rooms with change from their budget on Agoda.

Brisbane QLD...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Thanks cbimages, I have given her your info and she said she will get on to TA and fire away all her questions (hopefully she does) thanks again for all your helpful advice.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

The Puri Santrian is very close to many good restaurants and cafes. Some of my favourite restaurants in Sanur are with in easy walking distance of the Puri Santrian. To walk 100 metres north along the beach you will come to a number of very nice little beach warungs. Titie's Warung is a stand out as far as I am concerned. The Fire Station is about 200 metres away and in my opinion is easily the best restaurant in Sanur.

I have a number of people in their late 60's and early 70's stay with me on a regular basis they all seem to find more than enough to keep them interested for a month or longer stay.

A part is getting to know locals or some of the expat crew, you will see a different side to Sanur than most people know about.

I will often say to tourists jump in my car and come for a drive we will go to Man Shed, the Cavern Bar, the sea food restaurants on Serangan island, Serenity restaurant, Flames on the by pass, Kesuma, Sweet Magnolia, Goanna Bar or Eddie's Overflow. It astounds many people that there is a Sanur away from the few hotels they read about on forums.

This is why the Sanur Cycle Tours are so good, tourists get to see the rice fields of Sanur, a local market, go to orchid gardens and get away from the normal tourist run.

Brisbane QLD...
Level Contributor
163 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

Thank you so much Cempaka 1, that all sounds perfect, it even interest me now, as we have never stayed in Sanur but always say we will one year. Between you and cbimages you have given me alot to pass on to start with.

Thanks again

9. Re: Need your help to help friends first trip to Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Sanur