We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

£££££ or $$$$$$$$

carlisle
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
£££££ or $$$$$$$$

Can anyone advise us of which currency would be best to take with us when we travel over to Bali.

We already have some Indonesian Rupiah but due to the exchange rate it would've been ridiculous to get all our money in Rupiah.

Would it be better to take USD or take sterling to exchange when we are away.

The USD exchange rate for us is really quite good at the minute hence the question.

Many thanks

Amanda

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

hi amanda

i think our best bet is to do the maths , go to this site yhttp://www.xe.com/ucc/

see if your better off to transfer into USD then into rupiah or just straight into rupiah.

cheers

batt

Lancs, England
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

We opened a flex account with the Nationwide as they don't charge for using overseas, and then just used the ATM's.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

Generally you loose a percentage every time you convert.. the theory of alchemy is yet to be proven.. ....

Some countries, such as Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos.. you need US dollars...

But in Indonesia any (hard) currency can be exchanged... I haven't done the exercise.. but I'm certain that you are better of bringing GBP.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

I would definitely bring pounds... they are less hassle to change here (there has been lots of problems with counterfeit US notes around SE Asia in the past so they are very picky about serial numbers etc etc ) and.... the USD is sinking lower by the day to the rupiah at the moment... (we use USD accounts here for our business so it is depressing us!!)

Plus you won't be paying currency conversion fees twice...

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

Lucky you! The pound is soooo strong now. So...bring pounds. :-) Then you won't lose out on two conversions. (pounds to US and then US to Rupiah)

I'll be in England in July and the exchange rate is VERY depressing for me. :-( Everything is soooo expensive!

6. Re: £££££ or $$$$$$$$

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 01:16
Get answers to your questions about Ubud