We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

garuda airlines - is it safe??

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
garuda airlines - is it safe??

need to fly from java island (from amajiwo) to bali but it says garuda only airline that flies, but this airline is on the eu black list...what should i do, any other way to get there? is this airline safe?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

Read the accident report for the GA200 crash at Yogya in March available on the Indonesia NTSC site. Very shocking Basically, lack of safety culture and training within Garuda, emphasis on fuel cost savings (no go around for missed approach), and no government oversite.

Regarding GA200, the pilot was singing in the cockpit prior to the crash, ignored 15 automated ground proximity warnings, and ignored the co pilot's warning to abort the landing.

The airport that services the Amanjiwo is where this crash occurred. The runway at this airport is in poor repair and needs work. The other nearby airport, Solo, also experienced an aircrash as well.

Having said the above, there is not choice for domestic transportation other than Garuda or other Indonesia flag airlines. Hopefully the horrible accidents over the past year will motivate the Indonesian government to raise safety standards.

Cut and paste from the report:

3.1.2 Regulatory oversight

1. Between 1998 and July 2007, surveillance of safety and airworthiness had been conducted by DGCA on two occasions. One safety inspection audit was conducted during February 2003. The most recent surveillance was conducted 2 days after the accident at Yogyakarta.

2. The DGCA program of flight operation’s surveillance of all Indonesian airline operators, planned for 2007, had not commenced by July 2007.

3. The DGCA lacked a mechanism for ensuring the continued safety standard of Garuda’s flight operations.

4. The deficiencies in Garuda’s training and checking procedures with respect to pilots’ actions and response to GPWS alerts and warnings, and procedures for a copilot to take over in the event of a PIC operating in an unsafe manner or becoming incapacitated, went unnoticed by the DGCA.

5. The DGCA had not filed a difference with ICAO with respect to its inability tocomply with the Standard for the runway end safety area.

4.1 Recommendation to Garuda Indonesia

The National Transportation Safety Committee recommends that Garuda Indonesia review its fuel conservation incentive program policy to ensure that flight crews are in no doubt about its intent, and that there is no perception that such a policy could compromize the safe operation of aircraft.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

An interesting link picked up on the TA Airlines/Air Travel forum:

smh.com.au/news/…1193619145390.html

Indonesia had an average of 3.77 deaths for every million flights across the country in the past three years, compared with a global average of 0.25.

Nth Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
233 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

Miss London in 2004 I travelled from London Heathrow to Singapore then onto Bali with Garuda there not as plush as Singapore airlines but it was fine and i wouldnt hasitate to fly with them again if the price was good.

In 2006 booked with garuda but when we went to board ended up on a malaysian airlines plane so they must be under the same management and they were good.

I wouldnt worry if youve got a good price. Thare is hardly any chance anything will go wrong.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Bali, Canggu, Kerobokan
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

This year so far I have made about 6 return trips to Bali with Jetstar from Sydney and I am sick and tired of them - lack of service, extra costs, business (star class) not worth the extra money etc etc. I wrote a nice (!) complaint letter to them in the beginning of July to which they said they would reply to me within 8 weeks. I am still waiting for this letter.

The last 2 trips have been with Garuda and I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. I will stay with Garuda from now on. It's entirely up to you but there are risks on any aircraft/airline.

VICKYFOGG
3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

HI Miss London,Garuda is in eu black list. I flied with this company 3 years ago from Bali to Java, i didnt know another one,but i specified request this one because is very wellknown and everything was ok, they are very punctual, good service, everything right.If youre not sure to fly there is another option .There are ferries traveling between Gilimanuk in west Bali and Ketapang in Java every 15 to 30 minutes, 24 hours a day. The actual crossing takes under 30 minutes. From Ketapang, bemos do travel to the terminal, where buses leave for Baluran, Probolingo, Surabaya, Yogyakarta, and Jakarta. A train station near the ferry port will enable you to go to Probolingo, Surabaya and Yogyakarta.When i flied this company wasnt in the black list, i dont know the how is the ferry quality.

Singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

I'm from Southeast Asia as well and from what I heard (from folks in the airline related biz, indonesian airlines are known for not maintaining their planes well...

If I have a choice, I'll rather take a more roundabout route than fly on one of them, esp if money is not a big issue.

I'm heading for bali end of the year, and though SQ & Qantas have no seats, I rather fly on Jetstar, a singapore based budget airline (though I'm paying as much as full fledge airlines due to capacity constraints) then to fly via garuda.

Anyway, depends on whether u want to take the risk. HAving said that, airline accidents are still much less than road accidents.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

flew with Qatar airways London-Doha-Jakarta then Gurada Jakarta - Bali in july.. my balinese gf warned me of Gurada before hand as they had recently had a crash a few mths before.. got to admit i was really nervous on this leg of my flight.. but hey im here to tell the tale !!!

also there was contributing factors with there recent accident..

1..: Pilot error (ignored warnings to abort landing)..

2..: The runway used solar paneled sensors on the ground for detecting wind speeds.. but had been cloudy last few days leading up to the accident !!

what i`ve read anyways..

if your times up.. your times up :P

28. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2008, 16:03
Perth
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

I come from the aviation industry and have worked in the engineering department of an australian airline. I can absolutely say without a doubt I would never step foot on an indonesian airline!!! Just sit down and speak to an aircraft engineer and it is enough to make your hair stand on end. I have heard to many truthful stories to ever take the risk. There had to be a very good reason why Garuda were banned from flying into Europe for so many years. Too scary for me.

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

I have been flying Garuda to Bali from Australia since 1979 and have never had a problem! The Australian Government would never let an airline fly into Australia if it didn't meet strict safety standards. There a lot of Indonesian airlines that certainly are not safe, Adam Air, being one of those and some of these airlines have actually been shut down by the Indonesian Government. I would have no hesitation in flying Garuda, especially on such a short haul flight as you will be on from Java to Bali. Any airline can have problems as we have recently seen from our very own Qantas!!