We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

garuda airlines - is it safe??

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
garuda airlines - is it safe??

need to fly from java island (from amajiwo) to bali but it says garuda only airline that flies, but this airline is on the eu black list...what should i do, any other way to get there? is this airline safe?

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

any airline can have a prob,just look at the hawaiin airliner that had its side ripped open inflight on a short hop,i think about 30mins, island to island flight,years ago.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

We have flown to Bali with Ansett, Qantas Merpati and Garuda.

We prefer Garuda every time!

I am not involved in the aviation industry so have no "expert" knowledge.

When we first flew with Garuda in the late '80's, we were told by "well meaning" "friends" of the lack of maintenance, seats being held in place with tape, dodgy crew et al. Frightening stuff. However we flew, we landed and we returned.

On a return flight in 2005, our plane was just about to land in Perth when we took off again and went out over the ocean and back again. The pilot explained that there was a wind shear problem at the airport and he was circling to avoid it. We landed well. I was grateful for the staff keeping us informed.

Maintenance issues aside, of which I have no knowledge, I do have first hand experience of service by Cabin Crew and Garuda win hands down. On Garuda you are not treated automatically as if you are a drunken aussie yobbo.

Garuda are respectful and helpful and attentive. Of course they will not tolerate abuse and nor they should.

Qantas we found to be disdainful, even in business class!

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

lorrienne

how did you dig this old post up ???

it was asked in oct 2007 , over 12 months ago .

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

cheers

batt

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

just shows Im half asleep

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

LOL , don't worry , you arn't the first and wont be the last one to do that .... i've done it before too ... hahahahahahahaha

batt

Perth
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

God knows where this came from - I didn;t look at the date but i never go back more than a couple of pages so I am confused.!!!

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

Hey Batt,

Look at your comment about Qantas on the first page...Their track record has changed since then lol. x

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

hehehehe yeh i did read that , that is what made me look at the date of the post .......lol

The still havent had a major crash or lost lives yet !!( touch wood )

Have faith in the aussie kangaroo !! hehehehehe

cheers

batt

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,450 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: garuda airlines - is it safe??

Let's hope it never happens, but if it does, do you think they'll have to bring out a Special Edition of Rain Man?