We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
la
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

Hello,

I am a female traveling to Ubud this coming Monday....it will be my first time traveling outside of the states on my own, and I will admit that aside from be excited, I am very nervous! I will be there from April 23-May7th.

So anyone out there...if you have any suggestions for traveling to Ubud, I would love to hear anything. I have only 1.5 days left to prepare for my trip.

Just some random questions I've had:

How big is the town?....is it all easy to walk around?

What is the best place to do a money exchange? I want to be prepared for when I land in Denpasar.

Any suggestion of simple budget places to stay? For now, Im thinking in the range of $20-25 (maybe ill splurge for a day or two)

Was browsing online at: Ketut's Place, Gusti's Bungalows....etc (i cant gage the proximity of all these places to the center of town)

Anything else important...i would love to hear from you!

Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

there is an interactive may of ubud which shows some accomodation.

hoteltravel.com/indonesia/bali/ubud_map.htm

also take a look at this site for useful tips and things to do in ubud etc

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Indonesia/Bal…

you can exchange some money at the airport to get you started and pay for your taxi buy water and essentials a couple of meals etc. the exchange rate here is reasonable. i don't exchange money in ubud so please ask when you get there and only use reputable exchangers such as the kodak shops. you could ask the taxi driver to stop in kuta or sanur to exchange some money also.

ubud is very cultural and i am sure you would enjoy it. if you don't want to stay there for two weeks you can always move on. there are many places you would enjoy

have a great trip.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

Hi Snooky,

Thanks for the virtual tourist link. Hadn't come across the site before. Got some useful info from it.

Ursie

Ireland
Level Contributor
455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

Have a look at the thread "Single Woman in Bali"on the forum from a couple of days ago.

Dont be nervous... Do be excited.

Ketuts place is a little out of town [but still walkable].. but a good budget place to stay with nice people.

Monkey forest road has lots of accom choice and is very central.

Ubud is small and very walkable... but there are lots of small villages around which are also classed as Ubud.

I would stay fairly central. At least to start with.

There is lots to see and do. Great choice of restaurants.

Have you thought of spending a few days on the Amed area?.. It is a different and lovely place with wonderful people.

The drive from Ubud to Amed via Sideman, is one of the best drives in Bali.

Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

It is many years since i was in Bali (1996) but stayed then at Ketut's Place and would highly recommend it. It is only 7 minute's walk from the Royal Palace in the middle of town. See all the great reviews it gets. Their Balinese feast is not to be missed. Also go to a temple festival or cremation ceremony - they are superb.

Bali is a wonderful island - stay away from the southern beaches and enjoy the beauty and culture of this amazing place.

Ubud has always been at the heart of Bali's art world, and there are wonderful galleries and craft shops. Also it is really rural and the vista of rice paddies is beyond belief, many of them with beautiful shrine to harvest gods. It is safe to walk alone - or was then. Ketut and family will give you advice on everything.

Driving is pretty manic but there are excellent local busses from Denpasar and onward, not to mention cheap taxis. Dogs are a bit of a noise nuisance, and crowing cockerels - bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper!

Wish I were you! Can't wait to make a return visit.

5. Re: Traveling to Ubud in 2 days; Tips to Prepare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 12:20