We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

we are a family of 3 college girls and mom, and have planned 3 weeks in UBUD,We want to do some charity work, learn pottery and may be sculpture/painting. We need a safe accommodation, probaly

in USD $ 200 per night .

We are traveling from US.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

do you mean this July and $200 for the four of you? If yes, at that very popular price range, for that length of time you may have trouble finding accommodation. You will find something but hurry up.

If it's next year some popular places that are lovely........ Alam Indah, Alam Jiwa, Alam Shanti, Tegal Sari, Greenfields, Cendana Resort, Saren Indah.

If you want to help a local charity I always collect clothes and money to give to the Bumi Sehat clinic..... www.bumisehatbali.org/index.php… you can go there and drop off the stuff. I know they call for volunteers but I think it use to be a minimum of 6 weeks? and more in the capacity to help educate locals than hands on work, eg. computer skill. But you can contact them by email and ask.

There is a library where you can donate books and an animal shelter, also an orphanage somewhere near Ubud? and local schools, I'm sure they could all use help in someway.

I think your best bet would be to contact some Bali charities and see where they think you could help out.

The art courses at the Museum Puri Lukisan are fantastic, we have done the mask painting course and my hubby did the wood carving. The whole experience was amazing. A lot of hotels run courses but I think it would be hard to beat the Museum for atmosphere and results.

Cheers Deb.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Tanalee is right about trying to find hotel accommodation, but There's more options than fancy hotels, you can find 2+ bedroom villas to rent for between $300-700 a month. Place an ad on www.BaliFInds.com. Or I could ask my next door neighbour who is looking to rent out a place around then. Or find a couple of rooms in a simple homestay, where a few weeks stay could bring the price down to around less than $3-400 a month for each room, Presumably you don't need a room each or to be right in the centre of town....particularly if you are getting your own scooters to get around, as you'll probably need to if you're going to Gaya or wherever for your pottery classes.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Some suggestions for charity work:

Anak Foundation

www.anakbali.fr/English/home.html

email: info&anak-bali.ord.id

Their goal is to provide education for children in poorer areas of Bali by sponsoring them for school, purchasing school materials, restoration of schools & to provide assistance in health & hygiene. They have an office near the football field on Monkey Forest Road.

Kupu-Kupu Foundation

www.yamp.com/kupukupu

Jalan Tirta Tawar No. 22A, Banjar Kutuh Kelod, Ubud

email: balikupu@yahoo.com

HP: 08123628720

Founder & social worker: Begonia Lopez

Kupu-Kupu is a charity working to improve the lives of physically & mentally disabled children, adolescents & adults. They have 2 small schools & centres plus a shop where they sell their handicrafts on Jl Raya Ubud. They welcome volunteers.

They always make me feel so welcome & it is a joy to spend time with both the staff & children. They also supply equipment e.g. wheelchairs to disabled children, help to make their homes accessible, make toilets where there aren't any, make programs to help them socialize & make friends, pick up the children from their villages to bring them to school.

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Thank you for all your help

We have change in plans-- (unfortunately with college kids this happens)

Now we have four weeks in Bali, and provisionally we have decided to spend

10 days somewhere (like 4 star hotel )where we can as they say "chill", after that we go to Ubud for may be 10 days and then 10 days in Seminyak.

The idea behind the trip is to learn about Bali, its people and culture and hope we can help someone in need. Our budget is USD$ 200- 300 per day. We hope to hire a car with a driver, do some pottery, help in the hospital/charity.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,525 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Ubud has some great things to do, batik making, cooking classes, Bike rides through villages, Museum etc.

One of the places that woud appreciate help or giving bras and baby items is the birthing centre there.

Also there is a place near the entrance of the monkey forest that looks after Bali dogs and cats well being.

I would chill at Sanur or Candi dasa or Nusa Dua.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Well, you now have just over a week in Ubud in which you want to do charity work AND learn art/pottery AND learn about the cultural life of Balinese people (cos you won't be doing that in a 4 star hotel or Seminyak!)

I'd really suggest you focus on one aspect or the other. And indeed, as previous posters have implied, set up your volunteering first as hospitals or charities etc don't usually have much capacity to humour non-language speakers who just arrive and want to 'help'. Also many of the projects are in drier rural areas such as Karangasem or the north, not necessarily around Ubud, which is a relatively wealthy part of the island, so you would need to arrange your transport/accommodation in those areas.

For pottery, if you haven't already researched: here is one

facebook.com/pages/…54168169310

Good luck!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

There's a thread at the moment with some good information that might be suitable for you, for the 'charity' part of your trip.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k353…

New York City, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

Thank you all for your help

We are moving forward - I got a 4 star hotel in Nusa Dua for a good price

Getting 2 weeks in Ubud is another issue-- however I do have 2 weeks confirmed booking thru Asia Rooms for a 3 star place for about $150 per day.

Now will set something for last week and my question is

Should we go to Semniyak or Kuta? ( looking for a good deal with hotel on or near beach)

Can we hire a car with driver at different places or can we get a deal for a whole month?

Issues with Charity is shaping up well-- I visited the sites and read the thread that you recommended.

Our plan is to bring some things from here and perhaps focus on teaching

(perhaps health related stuff)

Thank you all again for your help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
134 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

We stayed in a wonderful villa in Penestanen, within walking distance of Ubud, called Rumah Cinta. It costs around $200/night and sleeps 6+ people with 3 bedrooms/4 1/2 bathrooms. Lovely pool, too. Includes breakfast and daily cleaning, plus a driver at additinal cost. We are going back there again this August -- my son cried the entire flight home last year because he didn't want to leave.

You can see photos and a video of the house here -- amywattbaker.com/Amys_Webpage/Bali_2009.html

10. Re: 3 weeks in July for place to stay and learn art and culture

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:16