We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin N.T
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Hi

Just hoping for some good advice, we are a family of 2 adults and 2 children, and I am thinking of spending our last 5 nights in Bali in Amed. I have just found out it's about a three and a half hour drive to the airport, and our flight leaves at about 11pm. Do you think it would be too big a day to drive from Amed to the airport and catch our flight at 11pm, with children. I'm just wondering if I should skip Amed and do it next time, but the tranquility and the snorkling has great appeal to me.

Also if we do decide to go to Amed , I have been trying to decide between two hotels Life in Amed and Santai. Any comments most appreciated.

Natalie

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,004 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

We stay a little further south in Candidasa and love the area. I would definitely keep your plan to stay in Amed and no, the drive may be long, but I am sure your children will take the opportunity, to catch some sleep (wish I could when we drive....I always feel like I have to play navigator).

Sorry I can't help re accommodation apart from saying that I know others will respond tomorrow in regard to where to stay - I have heard however, that Life was was very nice.

Best wishes.

Darwin N.T
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Thanks for your reply Soo Darwin, I think we have decided that we will stay in Amed, I think it will be nice for the last part of our trip to just relax for a while. I also agree with you about Candidasa we have been there twice, and we all realy enjoyed it there, one of my very favourite hotels is there, The Aquaria, have you ever stayed there before?

Also do you know how much further it is from Candidasa to Amed.

Cheers

Nat

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

lt's approx 1hrs drive from Candidasa to Amed. I always spend the end of my holiday in Amed but stay for my last night in legian as it's closer to the airport, last visit my flight was at 10.40pm so I went shopping in the morning, met friends for lunch, more shopping, swam in the pool & I'd booked a late checkout for 6pm, went for a meal & then on to the airport. Due to the new road construction the journey from Amed to the airport will take longer than normal.

Life in Amed is at Lean & Santai is at Bunutan. Both are good hotels. I've visited Life in Amed but haven't looked around Santai. I'll send you some comments I've saved about Life in Amed via PM

Darwin N.T
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Thanks Ursie

Your help is much appreciated, I am trying to see if I can shuffle my other hotel accomodation around and stay at the Novotel Benoa on the last 5 days of our holiday, and stay in Amed earlier, but at the moment to change dates at the Novotel it will cost me an extra $400, I might see if I can shop around as I'm on a flexible rate and can cancell with that company , or I may consider your idea and spend the last night in Legian, that just meand it cuts my Amed time down to 4 days.

We will see cheers Natalie

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

My family have stayed at Anda Amed which is a very nice , funky hotel but I did think at that time that I would like to stay at Life at Amed next time I went to the area. I thought the beach at Lean and the village a bit prettier than others in the area.

Regards the travel: not sure how old your kids are but I know mine would be frazzled by the drive, then waiting around airport, then a flight. My intuition says split it up especially beacause the driving in Bali is winding and indirect. Have a lovely holiday.

australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Hi! I have just returned from Amed last week :(

YOU MUST GO!!! it is absolutely fantastic. but 5 days could be a little long, for the little ones it is not the kinda of beaches that are child friendly. they are black pebble beaches. so unless your pool can keep them occupied, I would say do four nights and one night closer to your hotel and late check out on the night you depart.

- TRUST me , I have travelled a lot with kids, my last is 24 months- do not do a 3 hr drive on the day of departure - your kids will be a nightmare at 11 pm!

I can promise you, it will wreck the end of your holiday. enjoy a night closer to airport and lazy late check out.

the snorkelling is amazing, and I got to meet the amazing ursie, go to amed, you will love it!!

Darwin N.T
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Thanks guys I was hesitating but am convinced now more than ever to go to Amed, I must admit we realy enjoyed the snorkeling last time we were in candidasa, and the snorkeling sounds even better in Amed. My children are not so young any more at 7 and 11, but I still think it would be too big a day for them, I think it is very sound advice to spend 4 nights in Amed to enjoy some family time and snorkeling and then move on for the last night somewhere close to the airport with a late check out. Any suggestions on a good budget hotel for the last night?

Realy appreciate your replys.

Thanks once again

nat

perth wa
Level Contributor
246 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

We stayed in Amed a year and a half ago at Apa Kabar in cottage 5. Loved it! Our two children were 8 and 5 at the time and slept in a loft above us. Beautiful views from our bed at sunrise and watching the fishermen go out each morning is a lovely memory I have of this place. Lovely pool and restaurant. The Santai was down the pebble beach a little way. Larger than the Apa Kabar but still lovely. The bonus with Apa Kabar was the beach view from the room. Four nights would be plenty of time in Amed and a good hotel near the airport in The Patra. The delux suite has a separate lounge /dining where the children can sleep and an awesome pool area to spend your last day at.

Enjoy your holiday.

Darwin N.T
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

Thanks Lachy

I have been looking at the Patra for the last night, I think I will just do the 4 nights in Amed. Your holiday in Amed sounded lovely, I think I will realy enjoy my time there.

Thanks for your reply

10. Re: Help needed for Amed for a family of four

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 13:11